Central Switzerland itinerary review for April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2019 at 21:49:18 #819449

First of all, thank you to everyone for being such great resources of first hand advice regarding this lovely country. Planning that started months ago for me has been made much more comfortable due to this site and your words. I’ve narrowed down our April 12-17 2019 stay to accommodations in the Luzern area only and would love feedback to make sure we’re doing all we can to explore but not be over extended. We will be purchasing point to point tickets for day 1 & 6 and a 4 day Swiss travel pass after mapping out cost and travel times.

Day 1 Arrival from Frankfurt via train to a hotel in Luzern. No other plans as we expect to get to our hotel about 7pm.

Day 2 Golden Pass thru Interlaken to Brienz for Ballenberg open air museum. Could we add time to wander around Lauterbrunnen or visit the Giessbach falls after the museum or is it a large, all day museum experience in itself? Any other recommended additions to a day of the museum? Return to our hotel in Luzern.

Day 3 Explore city of Luzern & go to Aeschbach Chocolatier in Root. We will be taking the boat to Gersau for the remaining nights late in the day but is there something to add to Luzern and Root for a few extra hours or will this fill our day just walking town?

Day 4 Engelberg cheese factory & Mt Titlis. We plan just for a ½ day because it’s our anniversary & the owner of our rental will be making us a home cooked traditional dinner. How great is that? If the weather was not good for Titlis is there any advice for which alternatives would best fit a ½ day, mostly indoor or a pretty train ride experience? I have had recommended options of Lugano (the Gotthard Panorama is not yet open though), St Gallen, Berne or taking the train from Fluelen-Erstfeld-Andermatt-Oberalp Pass and back. Maybe someone has a better cloudy/rainy day suggestion?

Day 5 Explore the lake with stops at Brunnen for swiss army knives and Hergiswil glass factory. Would it be doable to add in Mt Rigi weather permitting? Is there any other suggestions for something to accompany the 2 factories?

Day 6 train to Munich

I greatly appreciate all feedback and just taking the time to read through my itinerary.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    12 January 2019 at 14:10:49 #901953

Hi Hestesh,

Your plan is feasible, an I assume it matches your wishes. However, the alternatives you propose for Day 4 (Lugano, or St Gallen, etc.) do not really fit in 1/2 day. I would suggest you visit the Transport Museum (Verkehrshaus, http://www.myswissalps.com/mu seumoftransport, http://www.verkehrshaus.ch/en /home.html ) in Lucerne or make a trip on one of the steamers on Lake Lucerne http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakelucerne.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 January 2019 at 17:00:32 #901954

Hi Hestesh,

Day 2: I believe the museum is a 1/2 day experieince – you could add something else in if you get an early start.

Day 3: The Transport museum in Lucerne would be a good option: http://www.myswissalps.com/mu seumoftransport

Day 4: I think a visit to Bern would be ideal for a 1/2 day (4-6 hours?). St. Gallen is a nice option on the Voralpen Express but it is getting a little far for a 1/2 day (over 2 hours one-way).

Day 5: Hard to say how long you’ll be at each factory visit – could be 1 hour or 3 each. 🙂 but Rigi is a good back up plan if the factory visits go quickly.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2019 at 0:53:11 #901955

Day 2: note that, coming from Luzern, you reach Brienz before you get to Interlaken

Best ‘not so good weather’ 1/2 day trip from Luzern would be Bern, but will take longer from Gersau.

Will the Bears be out of their winter slumbers?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2019 at 1:07:38 #901956

Thank you all for continued advise!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2019 at 1:13:21 #901957

Thank you for noting the direction. I did have it in my head we went past Interlaken! Our local bears (black bears) don’t actually fully hibernate so they’re always roaming. I hadn’t though of wildlife differences 😊

• The thread ‘Central Switzerland itinerary review for April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.