Lugano to Murren via Centovalli

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 July 2019 at 16:10:36 #823101

I am interested in talking the Centrovalli RR on my trip from Lugano to Murren. I have used the links to train timetables, but I can’t seem to get the info. We are planning to leave Lugano 9/4, taking the Cent. RR to Domodossola and connecting through Spiez to Interlaken. Any idea how long this Lugano-Murren trip will take? We have a Swiss Pass.

Can we get the Centrovalli in Lugano, or do we need to go to Locarno? If Lugano, which train station?

Since we have a Pass, do we need a reservation? How do I determine which trains are panoramic?

Can you offer any further instructions for finding train schedules? The Happy Rail won’t let me add “via” and Swiss Rail won’t let me see schedules for September (comes up nana).

Thanks so much. This is such a great resource!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    28 July 2019 at 17:06:12 #918810

Hi FlyAway,

I recommend to enter Lugano to Mürren via Domodossola in the timetable at http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable, and pick a closer date. The trip won’t be much different in September, not at all probably. As soon as the Italian or French railways are involved, train schedules might unfortunately be made available later than usual. That’s probably the issue.

Further details are here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ce ntovalli

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 July 2019 at 18:20:33 #918811

Thanks for your fast reply. It appears we have to backtrack to Lucarno to pick up the Centrovialle. Do you know if 4′ on the rail site means 4 minutes? We have to go from the Lucarno train station to the FART station. We arrive Locarno 9:59 and have to get to the FART station for a 10:04 departure. Do you think we can make that connection?

Arno
    15471 posts
    28 July 2019 at 18:47:47 #918812

You’re welcome! Yes, it starts in Locarno. How do you mean backtrack?

5 minutes to change is not a lot, but doable if you know where to go. Make sure you’re in the front of the train on arrival. Get off and turn right and right again to see the entrance to the underground station of the FART. This is from memory and I know they have been reconstructing the station, but I don’t think this has changed. You can of course take one train earlier. Locarno is not a bad place for a walk or coffee on the lake front.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 July 2019 at 23:05:39 #918813

Yes, Locarno is on a branch off the Gotthard railway route – so to reach the starting point of the Centovalli (FART) railway you must travel Lugano – Bellinzona – Locarno, ie travelling north to Bellinzona and ‘backtracking’ to Locarno

Don’t make a great effort to go on the panoramic train, in my opinion (with 59 years of experience of world railways) the Centovalli railway panoramic trains are a very poor design – just as good to take a regular train and cheaper.

I would be wary of suggesting to someone new to the area only having 5 minutes to make the connection between FFS and Centovalli at Locarno, as it even caught me out last time was there, despite me having been familiar with the FART at Locarno for many decades. I found it difficult to get quickly from the main line train to the Centovalli metre gauge train.

However, 4 minutes is the official minimum connecting time at Locarno so you are expected to be able to achieve it. but please note the Centovalli trains do not wait for late running connections

The timetables are published in the December – December Swiss official timetable, here is the PDF:

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/620.pdf

• The thread ‘Lugano to Murren via Centovalli’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.