CH (4 days) > Italy Itinerary: Which pass/route

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2011 at 12:25:03 #804565

Hey all!

I need some help making the final decision on buying a pass for a very basic Swiss/Italy itinerary (two 25 year olds traveling together).
    Day 1: Land in ZRH around 11am – travel to Murren (3 nights) ~$58
    Day 2: Explore Lauterbrunnen Valley or Jungfrau/Schilthorn
    Day 3: Explore Valley or Jungfrau/Schilthorn
    Day 4: Travel from Murren across the Italian border (via Milano?) to Sirmione, Lake Garda, Italy (explore Italy and fly out of Rome)

I realize we’re mostly going to be in the mountain area wherethe discounts apply more than the free pass rides, and my biggest travel days are the first and fourth day.

SBB.ch is farely confusing when comparing point to point tickets versus start to end locations. It always seems that buying point to point is less expensive.
    For example, my Day 4 travel:
    Murren > Desenzano del Garda (~$140 sbb.ch)
    Murren > Milano (~$60 sbb.ch) > Desenzano del Garda (~$22 via trenitalia)

Which pass is best? Which routes would be best? Am I forgetting or overlooking something? What would you suggest?

Thank you!
    Adam

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    13 May 2011 at 2:38:38 #833730

Hello Adam! A Swiss Card is the best option for your stay in Switzerland. The longest and most expensive train trips, being your inbound journey from Zurich to Mürren and your outbound journey from Mürren to the Swiss border, will be for free. Your other trips, such as visits to the Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn, will be discounted by 50%.

The SBB is a bit more expensive than Trenitalia for Italian trips, so that explains the price difference. The best route is indeed Interlaken – Spiez – Brig – Domodossola – Milano.

Does this answer your questions?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2011 at 18:33:02 #833731

Hi again,

I’m finalizing trip plans now and realized that the Swiss Card includes a round trip from the airport. Since we’re going from the airport to Murren, and then Murren to Italy, would both of those legs be covered? Or would we have to be returning to the airport to get the most use out of the Swiss Card?

Thanks!
    Adam

Annika
    7116 posts
    11 July 2011 at 3:14:18 #833732

Hi Adam! Yes, the Swiss Card will cover the leg airport-Mürren and Mürren-Swiss/Italian border. You don’t have to get back to the airport first, as the inbound and outbound trip don’t have to be the same and don’t necessarily have to include an airport: it’s about either an airport or a border railway station. Further details can be found at the Swiss Card page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2011 at 23:04:20 #833733

Hello again!

We’ve purchased our Swiss Cards and I’m getting our big travel day organized (Murren BLM to Desenzano del Garda). I’m using SBB.ch and found a timetable for the day of travel that is perfect, but it’s a Sunday and at the bottom of the itinerary SBB has a note that say: “Duration: 6:00;runsdaily, 30. Oct until 4. Dec 2011 Mo – Sa”, which obviously doesn’t include Sunday. Does this mean that the itinerary SBB gave me is not guaranteed? Are there any other nuances to the system that I should be aware of?

Thank you so much for your help Annika 🙂
    Adam

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 August 2011 at 0:48:01 #833734

Hello Adam,

What date did you fill out? It should only return train services that are available on that particular day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2011 at 0:52:13 #833735

Hi Arno,

I put in August 21, 2011.

Thanks!
    Adam

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 August 2011 at 1:04:01 #833736

Hello Adam,

Ok, I see what you mean. This service is available on August 21, but between October 30 and December 4, it is not available on Sundays.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2011 at 1:08:00 #833737

Ah, thank you very much. Easy enough answer overlooked by anxiety.

Adam

• The thread ‘CH (4 days) > Italy Itinerary: Which pass/route’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.