Chamonix from Wengen with Swiss Travel Pass

• Inka5
    Participant
    13 posts
    21 February 2018 at 18:32:21 #814457

Hello and thank you for your advice!

Planning to be in Wengen for a week August 15-21st with a Swiss Pass. Two of us, we will arrive Geneva and go to Wengen on the Golden Pass Route via Gstad. We were planning to return the same way, taking bus or cab from the airport in Geneve. Then I found the train via Martigny! Is this a reliable connection?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2018 at 19:26:47 #876955

Hi Margie44 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I’m guessing you mean the Swiss Travel Pass? The Swiss Pass is a different product.

Yes, you can travel via Martigny if you wish. All train/bus routes are reliable. You can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out all your trips. There are definitely a few extra connections to make, but just enter Wengen to Geneva via Martigny and you’ll see your options.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 February 2018 at 21:24:59 #876956

It will take a bit longer but consider also adding via Kandersteg. You will then travel on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. The faster route will take you through a long tunnel between Spiez and Brig.

Inka5
    Participant
    13 posts
    21 February 2018 at 22:21:30 #876957

The allure is dropping right into Chamonix gare if the connections do not add too much travel time.

Lucas, would you prefer going to Chamonix via Geneve? I read an older post that said a cab could make the trip from the airport to Chamonix in 30 minutes for 95 Euros. Or a bus in 2h30 for 2X29.

Thank you, rockoyster, for your appealing alternate suggestion with a view! That is what we are there for!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2018 at 8:25:57 #876958

Chamonix from Geneva is tricky with the buses needed.
    The trip by car would still be over an hour but less than half the time needed by bus. Hard decision – those taxis are expensive (though less so in France).

I think I’d stick with Martigny but it depends on your personal views on Chamonix and the Mont Blanc. 🙂

• The thread ‘Chamonix from Wengen with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.