Chamonix – worth day trip from Geneva for a hike?

• Sapphire
    Participant
    11 posts
    5 May 2018 at 10:33:49 #815738

Hi

I’m flying to Geneva at the end of June. My flight time has suddenly been brought forward so I now have virtually a whole extra day to play with (ie the day I arrive). I’ve already planned an itinerary for the days I will be staying in Montreux but was wondering if there was an area that would be good to visit (bus or train only) from Geneva with my extra most-of-a-day.

I love the mountains, lakes, attractive villages/towns but it’s mainly the walking that I’m going for (definitely no via ferrata or scrambling on scree though!). I’ll only have a rucksack so no cases to pull around.

i am seriously thinking about visiting Chamonix. If possible maybe doing the walk Flegere to Lac Blanc or Cheserys Lake, or if there’s still snow on path then instead to Plan Praz (Grand Balcon Sud). However it looks like you have to pre book a coach or minibus transfer both ways so if the weather is awful and I decide last minute not to go I loose my money, plus if you miss the pick up time in Chamonix then it may be difficult to get back (maybe an expensive taxi ride) to Geneva as I can’t see there’s a standard public bus that goes out to Chamonix you can just catch whenever you decide to leave.

i would be hugely grateful for any comments please on whether it’s worth my visiting Chamonix for hiking/scenery or, given the possible issues I’ve outlined, it’s on balance not worth it. I am going to Wengen for a few nights later in the trip so I will get my mountain fix, unless Chamonix area is so stunning that it’s an absolute must do regardless!

if it’s a no to Chamonix, any other areas that would be stunning to visit please away from Lac Leman?

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2018 at 1:37:30 #884276

There is a regular bus service Geneva – Chamonix:

http://www.sat-montblanc.com/horaire-timetables/ligne-internationale-geneve-chamonix.aspx

A simple day out from Geneve is to go up into the Jura on the Nyon – St Cergue railway. All the Jura walks are likely to be snow free

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    9 May 2018 at 20:37:15 #884277

From the airport, take the train to the Geneva main station (all trains go there, it is the first station). Then take bus #8 to Veyrier-Douane, and walk through the border to the Salève cable car (téléphérique du Salève), go up, enjoy the breathtaking view of Geneva and the lake, hike up there as much as you want, and go back in time, either by cablecar again, or hike down. You may also skip the cable car altogether, or elect to take it just going down.

This way you’ll have been in France. Forget about Chamonix, way too far for a relaxing day. From the top of Salève, look south and, weather allowing, you’ll see Mt Blanc allright.

Before you exit the airport, between luggage carrousel and green channel, take a free ticket that will be valid for one hour and should bring you to Veyrier. For the cable car you can pay with a credit card.

Check this out: http://www.telepherique-du-saleve.com/

Sapphire
    Participant
    11 posts
    9 May 2018 at 20:53:17 #884278

Many thanks to you both for your input. I will have another think on what to do.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2018 at 0:14:23 #884279

I second the Salève. I have walked up there many times. I think for time reasons it is best to go up on the cable car, but the walk down can be quite easy as some of the paths follow the old railway that the cable car replaced eons ago.

• The thread ‘Chamonix – worth day trip from Geneva for a hike?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.