Chamonix worth it as a day trip from Geneva?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2019 at 7:58:13 #820404

We land in Geneva at 7am and have that day and second full day in Geneva. Then we leave at 8am the next morning. We are not really into cities.

We are going to St Moritz, Zermatt, Wengen and Lucerne. My question is should we do a day tour of Chamonix on the second full day in Geneva or will we see more spectacular mountains on the rest of our trip and we need more time in Geneva?

I don’t want to book a Chamonix tour too early but we will probably have to book it before we know what the weather will actually be like on the day. The public buses leave Chamonix very late (for us) on our day of travel (end may).

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2019 at 8:50:05 #906543

Hi Paddington

You will definitely see spectacular scenery in all the areas you mentioned. The mountains around Chamonix are also very special, the valley is very narrow and the landscape stunning, I personally like it a lot and would recommend it as a day trip, however it depends on your priorities. By the sounds of it staying in Geneva would not be a priority if you’re not into cities…

I am not sure what public buses you are referring to but there are regular shuttle buses from the airport to Chamonix so getting there and back should not be a problem. If you have a Swiss Travel Pass you can also go there via Martigny by rail: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass

We have 2 very good options on our site as well for tours to Chamonix: http://www.myswissalps.com/ge neva/activities

Always advisable to check the weather forecast for sure! http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather/forecast

Here are some links to your destinations which might help in your decision making:

Hope this helps and happy travels!!

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2019 at 1:35:28 #906544

You will see plenty of high mountain scenery on your itinerary, but you should include Chamonix if you want to say you’ve been to the foot of the highest mountain in Europe. However a day trip to Chamonix may not include getting ‘up close’ to Mont Blanc as that takes time and you need to be staying in Chamonix.

As Maria says, there is a railway from Martigny to Chamonix.

So one option is to adjust your trip to go: Geneva – Chamonix (stay) – Martigny – Zermatt – etc

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2019 at 10:46:12 #906545

Thanks Maria and 1960man.

We will go to Chamonix. I’ve found some webcam websites to check the weather before we go and we can cancel 24 hours before the trip.

We can’t overnight in Chamonix as we’ve booked a week in Annecy.

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    16 March 2019 at 13:02:24 #906546

You will enjoy Chamonix.It reminds me a lot of Zermatt in ambiance as it is car free and has lots of shops,restaurants and hotels. Mont Blanc is the highest peak in Western Europe (Mt Elbrus is the highest in Europe)and is very scenic but to me Jungfrau and the Matterhorn are more spectacular but that is of course a very subjective opinion. When in Chamonix you can easily take the cable car up to Aguirre de Midi for a good view of the valley as well as Mont Blanc. It is the traditional starting point for those who are climbing Mont Blanc. Interestingly , more people die on Mont Blanc than any other peak in the Alps mostly because it looks so easy to climb and people attempt it ill prepared and fall into one of the many crevices on the route up.

I found Annecy very interesting and scenic as well but be prepared for large crowds in the summertime.

Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2019 at 14:32:32 #906547

Hi Paddington

That’s great, another option: you could also do your day trip to Chamonix from Annecy if you prefer, which has a train station and trains to Chamonix (SNCF), if you want to save time on the Swiss leg of your trip.

Happy travels!!

Maria.

• The thread ‘Chamonix worth it as a day trip from Geneva?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.