Change Glacier Express reservations 2nd to 1st cl?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2018 at 18:53:35 #814876

wee I’ll be traveling with a 2ndclass Swiss pass. The day we wanted to travel on the Glacier Express was almost sold out we we grabbed 2 seats. I just found out I could have reserverved first class and paid the fare difference.There are better seat options in first. Can I exchange my2nd class seat reservations?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2018 at 21:16:25 #879318

Hi Dmlear, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

You will have to contact the company you made the reservations with and ask them what’s possible.

Meeraoz
    Participant
    46 posts
    21 March 2018 at 9:34:13 #879319

I don’t know about Glacier express. However recently I reserved 2 VIP first class (1st row in front) seats on the Golden Panaroma express from Zweisimmen to Montreux, for 1 Aug 2018. I initially selected a window and middle seat. When I wanted to change one of them to an aisle seat , the company refused to do so. Their email reply was that no change was permitted. I could, however, do a new booking which would mean extra expense for a 3rd ticket.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 9:48:31 #879320

Thanks. I have a feeling that will be the answer but I have contacted the company for verification. I’ll post the answer.

Meeraoz
    Participant
    46 posts
    21 March 2018 at 10:21:59 #879321

They may oblige since you are upgrading and will be paying more for 1st class. In my case it was only a change of seats I wanted as I had already reserved 1st class tickets. Wishing you the best

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 12:03:06 #879322

They said that after I change the reservation I can submit the two reservation numbers and they will reimburse the original reservation. The thing I find confusing is the upgrade ticket. Our plan was to purchase an 8 day Swiss pass when we arrive. I checked the the upgrade page on line and it says:

You can always decide spontaneously whether you would like to travel in 1st class, by purchasing a route-specific class upgrade online in the SBB Ticket Shop, using your smartphone with SBB Mobile, at the ticket machine or counter. For the class upgrade you will need a ticket, a 1-day travelpass or a GA travelcard for 2nd class.

It doesn’t mention a multi day swiss pass. Do you know if it’s possible to purchase the an upgrade for one day of a multi day Swiss pass?

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 March 2018 at 13:59:19 #879323

Hi Dmlear,

The SBB site is mostly geared to Swiss citizens, so they often only mention passes relevant to them. SwissPass is also for Swiss citizens by the way. As a tourist you need a Swiss Travel Pass. In either case, buying an upgrade for an occasional trip is always an option: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/2nd1stcl ass

Happy travels!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 14:02:45 #879324

Thanks so much. That’s the clarification I was looking for.

• The thread ‘Change Glacier Express reservations 2nd to 1st cl?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.