Change of travel plan; which rail card required?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2016 at 15:13:24 #808716

My travel plan change.

14/4 – Zurich

15-18/4 – Zermatt

19-20/4 – Bern

what kind of rail pass should I purchase?

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    26 March 2016 at 8:50:57 #849819

Hi Ollie66,

From your previous topic, I infer that you initially planned to do Zurich-Zermatt-Zurich. The pass combination recommended by Arno there (Zurich Card + Swiss Transfer Ticket) might still work for your new plan, but it depends a bit on the further details of your itinerary. I assume you still need to get back to an airport or border station when leaving Bern, for example. That may be rather short trip for which you can easily buy a regular full fare ticket. In that case a Zurich Card + Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi (that ends after your arrival in Bern) + Bern Ticket (granted for free if you book a hotel in Bern) + regular ticket back to the airport/border station could be a good option. Price wise, you may compare this to the Swiss Half Fare Card by making calculations as explained here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2016 at 10:39:02 #849820

My itinerary is as below: –

I will be arriving Zurich City Centre on 14 Apr 2016 from Locarno by train which had already included in my other package. I shall stay a night in Zurich and leave for Zermatt on 15 Apr 2016 from Zurich City Centre.

My time in Zermatt between 15 to 18 Apr 2016, I would like to take it easy – Sightseeing the town, visit the Matterhorn and also Gornergrat.

I have booked a Hotel in Bern City Centre for 18 – 20 Apr 2016. My plan shall be visiting the Old Town, the city and Gurten.

On 20 Apr 2016, I shall leave Bern in the late afternoon to Zurich Airport.

Arno
    15482 posts
    26 March 2016 at 13:44:11 #849821

Hi Ollie66,

In that case I’d recommend the Swiss Half Fare Card. You can order it through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en and print it at home. Make sure to pick “Online Ticket’ when delivery options are presented. It takes 2-3 working days to receive the card through e-mail.

Enjoy Switzerland!

• The thread ‘Change of travel plan; which rail card required?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.