Change trains in St. Gallen in only 3 minutes?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2019 at 14:08:53 #819528

Hello,

I will be travelling from Zürich Flughafen to St. Margrethen SG, Bahnhof. According to the trip information in the Swiss Rail website I must make a change in St. Gallen from Platform 1 to Plattform 6. I had only 3 minutes to do this change!

Do you think I can do it in this short time? Can you give me direction how to move very fast from platform 1 to platform 6? Please note that my trip will be late in the night at around 23:00. (see the attached screenshot)

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 January 2019 at 18:59:16 #902387

HI KhalilB –

Welcome to My Swiss Alps!

The standard allowed time for transfers in Swiss stations is 3 minutes. The connections are designed with that in mind. That means that you can make it….unless you have a ton of luggage. ;-). No promises, but I’d not be surprised if the Regional train might wait an extra minute or two, especially if they see you running frantically along the platform. 😉

You wll note that the screen grab that you showed has a link for a map, to help you understand the change. The timetable also shows two later trains if you miss the connection….on a random date that I chose, since you did not include a date in your query.

Hope that helps.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2019 at 19:49:48 #902388

Dear Slowpoke,

Thank you for your response.

I will have a small bag and my back bag, so I do not expect it will case any problem for me to move fast.

can you give me a direction of how to move when I change the train. I saw in the forum some posts saying that there is a down staris and the connection to the different platforms is from underground.

Also, is there free WIFI in the train or stations. I may need to use Skype to make phone call because I do not have valid sim card.

sorry for asking too much, as this is my first time to use Swiss trains and I have tight time schedule.

Many thanks.

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 January 2019 at 20:29:47 #902389

Hi KhalilB,

You can find the platform number of your next train in the timetable (see the link in Slowpoke’s post). The numbers are signposted very clearly at the stations.

As for on board internet, please see http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/internet.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 January 2019 at 23:04:27 #902390

Look here for a map:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/st-gallen-station.html

The map shows an underground passage.

There are a lot of overhead signs with track numbers.

Be at the door of your train car when it pulls in to the station.

The SBB web site is a rich source of information of all kinds about travel, especially by train. It will help you to learn how to use it.

<<“Also, is there free WIFI in the train or stations. I may need to use

Skype to make phone call because I do not have valid sim card.”>>

There is either wireless telephone connection or WiFi on the trains….I do not recall which it is. If you spend much time in Switzerland, wireless phone connectivity will be valuable…it s available almost everywhere in the country, including the mountains.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/practic al

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Change trains in St. Gallen in only 3 minutes?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.