Changes to the SBB luggage transport services

• Arno
    15484 posts
    5 June 2018 at 8:33:39 #816456

Hello everyone,

As of today, the SBB (Swiss railways) changed their luggage transport services. As far as I could see they removed the express station to station service, and they also reduced the number of train stations offering luggage services. One day shipping to the airport is only being offered for Zurich airport from now. On a positive note, there is a nice “door to door” service to ship luggage from any address to any address within Switzerland. In case of car free towns delivery will be to the local train station.

Please find an overview and links to further information here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/luggage.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    6 June 2018 at 0:17:38 #887449

Thanks Arno

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2018 at 23:01:54 #887450

T hank you for the information Arno.

This is not good news for us! For last 2 years we have used express luggage transfer to send our large suitcases from St. Moritz early morning to pick up in Thun at 6 p.m. so we can travel by GEX to Brig, changing there to continue to Thun. This made for a relaxed trip without the big cases, especially as the connection time in Brig is quite tight. We were planning to do the same this year, especially as we don’t know how much my health will have improved by September!

Maggie

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 June 2018 at 4:57:26 #887451

Hi Maggie,

I’d give their new door to door service a try then. It should be possible to get your luggage picked up at your hotel and delivered to your holiday home the same day. I don’t know how this compares price wise. Don’t forget to order this service at least two days in advance.

I hope you don’t need the service for health reasons by then. It sounds like a convenient option anyway.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 June 2018 at 5:10:59 #887452

Looks like the door to door charge is a flat rate of CHF40 plus CHF30 if you want it express (same day) plus CHF12/item of luggage.

St Moritz and Thun are both on the list Maggie.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2018 at 16:42:11 #887453

Thanks both – will check it out nearer the time, I guess. Our first stop in St. Moritz is in a hotel but our stay in Uetendorf (near Thun) is a privately owned holiday apartment so not sure how this would work – probably need to pick up at Thun station so may need express to save spending first morning going back to Thun to fetch it!

Because we fly with Swiss Air we have been able to drop off luggage at Thun station day before travelling, get boarding passes and not worry about luggage till we get to Birmingham. Need to check whether this is still available.

Keeping fingers crossed over health situation for September! Should have been in Lugano today! Cheering myself up by making plans for September!

Maggie

• The thread ‘Changes to the SBB luggage transport services’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.