Paris Charles de Gaulle to Lucerne by train

• StephenWilli
    Participant
    8 posts
    19 December 2016 at 15:33:55 #810460

I’m arriving CDG at 10:50 am on March 30, 2017, and want to train to Lucerne, Switzerland that same day. Does a train leave from the CDG Airport, or should I go to another train station in Paris to get a better train connection for Lucerne? I see there will be train changes too. I think I see where a train leaves CDG at 12:45, changing trains in Strasbourg and Basel, arriving in Lucerne at 5:30 pm. I also think I see a train leaving Paris Est at 12:55, changing trains in Strasbourg and Basil, arriving Lucerne at 6:05 pm. There also seems to be other trains to Lucerne leaving Paris Est at 1:55 and 2:55 pm.

Are any of these trains best for me arriving CDG at 10:50 am. This is my first time joining MySwissAlps and posting in the Forum, so I hope this is not too detailed a question. My total itinerary is to then train from Lucerne to Interlaken, then to Montreux, then to Barcelona, then back to Paris for a few days, and am thinking a “Eurail Three Country Select Pass Off Peak” might be best. Thanks. Steve

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    19 December 2016 at 17:30:29 #857478

Welcome to MySwissAlps Steve!

There are a few ways to reach Lucerne:

1. Take local trains/subways to Paris-Gare de Lyon (takes about an hour). From there, take a direct TGV (high speed train) to Switzerland. Get off in Basel and take a train to Lucerne.
    2. Take a high speed train from the airport TGV station called “Aéroport Charles-de-Gaulle TGV” to Strasbourg, change there for Basel, change again in Basel to reach Lucerne. This is often the quickest way as you by-pass Paris but there are only a few services per day via this route as far as I know.
    3. Same as 2, but you’ll board the train to Strasbourg in Paris Gare de l’Est. You’ll get there by taking a local train to Paris Nord and walk over to the Est station in about 15 minutes.

Detailed schedules are in the timetable. Which train is best depends on how long you take to retrieve your luggage and get through customs. I can’t help you with an estimate. The TGV trains require a reservation, so it’s best to include some slack to be sure you’ll make that train.

The Eurail Select Pass covers the above trip, but you need to pay for the seat reservation. You’ll get a discount on the pass if you buy this month: myswissalps.com/forum/ topic/discounts-on-eurail-and-interrail-passes.

StephenWilli
    Participant
    8 posts
    20 December 2016 at 7:28:18 #857479

Arno, Thanks you so much for your reply. I’m always “Blown Away” that someone will take their own time to digest a long request for information, and then respond with the requested info. Your information does help me understand what’s involved and I’ll work at figuring out what’s best. Thank you again, and Happy Travels to you. Steve

StephenWilli
    Participant
    8 posts
    20 December 2016 at 14:38:50 #857480

One last question, hopefully. Because I’m starting and ending my travel in Paris, with traveling to Switzerland and Barcelona in between, I’m assuming a “Eurail Three Country Select Pass Off Peak” is best for me. But I keep reading about the Swiss Rail Pass. If I have the Three Country, will I need the Swiss Rail Pass for the basic travel between countries? I realize the Swiss Rail Pass could also covers other forms of transportation.

Also, should I go ahead and purchase the Three Country Pass now. Is there a dollar savings for early purchase? Thank you as usual. Steve

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 December 2016 at 15:20:02 #857481

Hi Steve,

The Eurail Pass does make sense as you will also be doing quite some traveling outside of Switzerland too. You can compare passes in detail on our Eurail Select Pass and Swiss Travel Pass pages. You’ll find coverage maps there as well.

Yes, if you decide for Eurail you’ll save money by buying now. I already gave you the link about that in my previous reply, and you’ll also find the promotions on the pass pages I just linked to.

• The thread ‘Paris Charles de Gaulle to Lucerne by train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.