Best access to Charles Kuonen bridge near Zermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2018 at 18:54:18 #818300

My family of 5 including 2 seniors would like to visit & walk the charles Kuonen supension bridge while we are in Zermatt and trying to find an easier way to go /hike up there. Doe it always start and end in Randa? Would love to get some input and advice .

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    10 September 2018 at 21:59:26 #895962

Hi Snowflake, and welcome to MySwissAlps.

< trying to find an easier way to go /hike up there >

Easier than what? You must hike to get to the bridge. Randa (1439 m) is the closest point of departure and arrival of a circular trail that passes the Kuonen Bridge (2060 m). The elevation difference is 600m, would take 2 hours going up (good hiker, time excluding breaks), and a bit less going down. It would be more interesting, but also more challenging, to hike from Zermatt along the Europaweg.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2018 at 1:56:57 #895963

Hi Snowman, based on the information provided, we will hike the Randa circular trail and make that a day event since we are not good hikers. Your answer is simple and to the point…exactly what I need to know. Thank you very much!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2018 at 7:14:31 #895964

Hi snowflake and welcome to MySwissAlps!

When are you wanting to do the trip? You can find more details here: http://www.zermatt.ch/en/Medi a/Attractions/The-Charles-Kuonen-Suspension-Bridge

It will be a full day hike I think.

Momo
    Participant
    12 posts
    11 September 2018 at 8:20:20 #895965

Quote from the aforementioned link:

<<The Charles Kuonen Suspension Bridge completes the Europaweg from Grächen to Zermatt. Many people consider this to be the most beautiful two-day hike in the Alps. If one covers the entire trail, one enjoys views of the Matterhorn, Weisshorn and the Bernese Alps. The suspension bridge can also be reached by foot from Randa.>>

If it is a two-day hike, is there a camping site mid-way?

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    11 September 2018 at 8:54:44 #895966

@Momo – The Europaweg has two sections: Graechen-Europahütte, and Europahütte-Zermatt. Europahütte is a “hut” described here:

http://www.zermatt.ch/en/Medi a/Restaurants-bars-clubs/mountain-restaurant-Randa-Europahuette

There is no camping site.

Momo
    Participant
    12 posts
    11 September 2018 at 9:58:16 #895967

Ok, so I am guessing accommodation must be made at the “hut?” Couldn’t follow the link to the hut website (link didn’t seem to be live).

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    11 September 2018 at 14:23:15 #895968

@Momo,

Yes, if you want to do the two-day Europaweg trail, you get accommodation at Europahütte. For me the link works, try again, or navigate in the Zermatt site:

http://www.zermatt.ch/en

Then search Europahütte, Europaweg, etc.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    11 September 2018 at 14:34:53 #895969

@Snowflake,

I attach a map of the hike, drafted with map.schweizmobil.ch. It says the entire hike lasts 3 hrs and 19 minutes. That must be for very good hikers. Good hikers gain 300m elevation per hour, excluding breaks, and here you want to go up 650m from Randa station. But you should be able to do this in one day, including the train ride either from Zermatt or Visp/Brig.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2018 at 14:36:38 #895970

Hi Lucas, We will be leaving for Switzerland this week for a 15 day trip . We will be in Zermatt next week and our plan is to take this hike one of the 2 days we are there if weather permits. I just checked the link you sent and found it quite helpful. Thank you very much! MySwissAlp basically helped me plan this whole trip I especially love the forum which is full of all good advice . Thumb up for MySwissAlp!.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2018 at 14:44:09 #895971

Have a great trip! You should be able to do that hike in a day as I said before. But it might be a bit challenging.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2018 at 15:06:57 #895972

Hi Snowman, Thanks!. I will use that as guideline.

• The thread ‘Best access to Charles Kuonen bridge near Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.