Swiss Travel Pass or normal tickets for 3 day trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2017 at 6:07:36 #813745

Hi

Unfortunately only have a few days in Switzerland 🙁 Would like to travel by train for scenery and also to make the most of Pass), this is what I have so far, any suggestions (other towns ect) would be great and if it would be better to get Pass than buying individual tickets (I am having trouble pricing individual tickets), thanks so much (we are not travelling till June 2018).

Day 1. Milan to Lucerne (3 nights) – Milan to Tirano • Tirano to Chur (Bernina Express) • Chur to Lucerne

Day 2. Lucerne to Montreux and back (spend a couple of hours there) on Golden pass line

Day 3. Lucerne to Bern (via Langnau) then on to Interlaken • Ferry to Brienz • Golden Pass line back to Lucerne – afternoon and evening in Lucerne.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2017 at 7:14:42 #872386

Hi Yccaste and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I would think that the 3 day Swiss Travel Pass would be a good option for your itinerary. To find out if the cost of the rail pass is more economical read through our web page on how to choose the best rail pass – there is an excel sheet to help with the math and compare.

Even if the pass works out to be slightly more expensive it is a lot more convenient. You’ll only need to buy a ticket from Milan to Tirano and then a reservation (mandatory) on the Bernina Express. Otherwise you just hop on any train, and boat your like!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2017 at 21:02:07 #872387

Thanks so much, may have more questions before we go, if you don’t mind! Do you think this is the best we can do in the short time, or are their any other places you would suggest, we really only want pretty (old) towns and great scenery, would love to have been going in the snow. Saw on a post that Lucerne will be busy (and noisy) in June, any recommendations for a reasonable hotel? Looked at Hotel Magic which seems close to station, but reviews of it said the Bell (in Tower) sounds every hour! Thanks again

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 November 2017 at 21:42:44 #872388

Hi Yccaste?

Where are you heading on Day 4?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2017 at 23:16:10 #872389

We are going to Munich.

I was going to ask (if not pushing my luck!) if we can use the Euro rail pass on the same lines – Golden pass and Bernina? We could then get a 5 day flexi over two months, on the other two days I could use it on Lucerne to Munich & Amsterdam to Hamburg, which are the other two journeys I need to book. Thanks so much for help, the more I look on websites the more confused I get!!!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 November 2017 at 23:40:28 #872390

Yes the 5-day Flexi Eurail will work quite nicely for you given you are doing mainly train journeys in Switzerland so the advantages of the Eurail Pass are pretty much the same as the Swiss Rail Pass.

The Swiss Rail pass only starts to beat the Eurail Pass once you head up into the mountains on some cable cars, cog railways etc.

Have a look at the Where It’s Valid tab on this page http://www.myswissalps.com/eu railselectpass Go to the 3rd page of the downloadable PDF map to see more clearly where you can go for free in Switzerland with the Eurail Pass.

I wonder if Lucerne is a good base for you or if a round trip to Montreux is the best use of your limited time? Golden Pass to Montreux is a bit over 5 hours one way plus an additional 3 hours even if you come back the fast way via Lausanne and Bern. Just something to think about. You may be happy seeing the varied countryside from trains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 November 2017 at 0:01:14 #872391

Thanks so much, will check it out, wanted to go on Bernina Express which is why we chose Lucerne.

I looked up Golden Pass from Lucerne to Montreux (do I book train in direction of Lausanne or Geneve Aeroport – this seems to be the two options both directions?) Also where are the best (and least) places to change trains on this trip (I thought it was just the one train, but reading posts looks like it requires at least two changes), looks like about a 3 hour trip one way?

With about 4 hours in Montreux, possible to catch a bus to Chillon Castle, walk along Promenade and take a ferry to Vevey? Thanks again 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 November 2017 at 1:40:50 #872392

As I mentioned above “Golden Pass to Montreux is a bit over 5 hours one way plus an additional 3 hours even if you come back the fast way via Lausanne and Bern”. So if you don’t mind a 12 hour trip you will be able to fit in 4 hours at Montreux which should give you time to visit Chillon but not much more (someone with more knowledge of that area may be able to offer better advice there.).

The Golden Pass Line is a route rather than a single train. See http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

To check the Golden Pass Line using the SBB TImetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) you need to search for Lucerne to Montreaux via Interlaken Ost and Zweisimmen. At that time of year reservations are strongly recommended on the Zweisimmen to Montreux leg of the trip where the trains are denoted MOB Panoramic (modern) or MOB Belle Epoque (heritage). For reservations see http://www.mob.ch/en/reservat ion-procedure

To get back to Lucerne just enter Montreux to Lucerne and the timetable will show you the fastest route.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 November 2017 at 4:47:19 #872393

Thank you so much – invaluable info – hopefully I can work it out now

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 November 2017 at 6:41:33 #872394

The Eurail passes work well enough in Switzerland if you aren’t making many/any mountain trips – that is where the major advantages of the Swiss Travel Pass is (and free museum entrances if that interests you).

With either pass you will have to buy a mandatory reservation for the Bernina Express so be sure to do that.

Just note that Lucerne isn’t very close (in Swiss standards) to where the Bernina Express travels. That being said it is a very nice and popular Swiss city which offers a nice old town, a lake and nearby mountains to explore. You’ll have to head up into the higher mountains for snow. Mt. Titlis would be your best best near Lucerne. As for hotels, we have a list of recommendations for Lucerne here.

You do have some very long days so be aware of all the travel you’ll be doing and train sitting. 🙂
    For pretty old towns Lucerne and Bern are good options on your short trip for sure. There is a lot to see and do here especially if you are interested in the great outdoors – but another longer trip in the future would be needed! I think this is a good 1st experience for a quick trip here.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 December 2017 at 2:57:41 #872395

When you go from Lucerne to Munich you might consider taking the Voralpen Express to St Gallen (via Arth-Goldhau and Rapperswil). It is a lovely scenic route and St Gallen is a wonderful old town. There is a direct EC train from St Gallen to Munich. Total travel time just under 5 hours with a good connection at St Gallen or get to St Gallen early and have a few hours sight-seeing before continuing on to Munich. Just a suggestion.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 December 2017 at 4:34:16 #872396

“Total travel time just under 5 hours with a good connection at St Gallen”

Oops – that should be just under 6 hours. I can’t add up.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 December 2017 at 8:41:06 #872397

THANKS SO MUCH…Yeah, I would never have known to do that, St Gallen looks lovely, train stops in town centre..and they have lockers! On the itinerary 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 December 2017 at 11:02:51 #872399

Thank you for the link, it looks amazing, love the look of the Abby library and old town, wish we were going in the snow…maybe next time!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 December 2017 at 8:27:51 #872400

Hi

Sorry- me again… I have decided to buy the Swiss Travel Pass, when I put in all details to purchase the e-ticket it said it will be sent 7 days prior to departure. I can’t find a way to email SBB to check if this is correct. I want to book the trains asap (especially Bernina Express and Golden Pass) and guessing I need a number to quote if using Pass? Do you have any info on this?

Also which side of the train is the best on these two trains?

Also it seems you can’t pre-book tickets for the Voralpen Express? Do you know if this is correct?

Thanks so much

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 December 2017 at 8:59:36 #872401

Hi Yccaste,

Swiss Travel Pass will normally arrive in your email within a day or two of ordering it.

You don’t need to have the pass before making reservations on Bernina Express or Golden Pass trains. But you can only make such reservations around 90 days before you travel.

As for best side of trains see http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress/gettingth ere and http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/gettingthere

You don’t need to make reservations on the Voralpen Express. Despite the grand name it is just a regular train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 December 2017 at 10:22:48 #872402

Hi Yccaste,

The 7 days is only applicable when ordering a physical ticket to arrive in the mail. For the print at home option: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price you can ignore this message. A number is not needed when doing the reservation.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 December 2017 at 0:47:33 #872403

Thank you so much, great links, so helpful for an internet dummy like me, I have bought 4 day passes, cannot wait. Thanks again.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass or normal tickets for 3 day trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.