Cheaper to buy Swiss rail pass in Switzerland?

• rubyng
    Participant
    12 posts
    9 February 2017 at 7:15:03 #810766

I’m from Australia. Will it be cheaper for me to purchase Swiss railway pass after I arrive in Switzerland?

Ruth

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 February 2017 at 8:30:18 #858810

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for joining MySwissAlps! I assume you mean the Swiss Travel Pass, right? It’s not cheaper to buy in Switzerland. You can compare all purchase options on myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price. The easiest way to buy is to go to http://www.swissrailways.com/ en, pick your pass and select the number of passengers. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass within 1-3 business days (no delivery fees), so you can print it at home. That saves you time on arrival as you can skip the ticket office and board your first train immediately.

Alternatively you can have a look at http://www.happyrail.com/en/p ass/europe/switzerland /swiss-travel-pass-consecutive. Their pass prices are low, but the exact amount you pay depends on the type of credit card you have.

rubyng
    Participant
    12 posts
    9 February 2017 at 8:34:06 #858811

Many thanks for the information.

Ruth

SummitClym
    Participant
    41 posts
    9 February 2017 at 19:31:41 #858812

Can I ask a little differently?

Is it more expensive to buy upon arrival in CH? For those of us who travel more spontaneously. I purchased the half fare card at the Zurich airport but don’t remember if it was more costly.

Thanks

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 February 2017 at 19:57:34 #858813

Hi SummitClym,

There is not one answer that suits everyone, as it depends on where you live (local retailers, exchange rates) and which pass you need. But in general, at this point in time, buying in Switzerland takes more time but costs the same. Sometimes buying online is not only quicker but also cheaper. All buying options (online and upon arrival) are on all of our pass pages, so you can best have a look there. In case of the Swiss Half Fare Card, please see myswissalps.com/ swisshalffarecard/ price. A Swiss Half Fare Card can be purchased online and printed at home. You’ll receive it through e-mail within a business day, or 3 at the most (will be instantly at some point). That way you can skip the line at the staffed ticket desk.

This page might be of interest: myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/wheretobuy.

Arno
    15483 posts
    11 February 2017 at 11:16:33 #858814

Hi Ruth,

I just noticed that a purchase through http://www.raileurope-world.com/pass/swiss-travel-pass-82 is slightly cheaper too, even with their handling fee included. Things like that change based on exchange rates. An up to date overview of your options is always available on the Swiss Travel Pass page.

rubyng
    Participant
    12 posts
    12 February 2017 at 23:57:53 #858815

Thanks for letting me know.

Ruth

• The thread ‘Cheaper to buy Swiss rail pass in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.