Checking my bags

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2010 at 10:40:53 #803979

I’ve read that while town or mountain-hopping, I can lighten my load by sending my baggage ahead by dropping it off at the train station (in this case, Zurich airport after purchasing my ticket to Lauterbrunnen) and paying the 10 SF, maximum 55 pounds. My bag supposedly should show up within 24 hours.

I’ll be backpacking and staying at one of the hostels, so would it be safe to send it ahead? My backpack is a top loading one and there is no way to lock it, but of course, there won’t be much valuables, just clothes, toiletries, and the like.

Thank you!
    Kauaisam

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    25 August 2010 at 13:43:45 #831749

Yes, the SBB baggage service is very reliable. You can send your backpack ahead from the central railway station of Zurich to Lauterbrunnen. More information on the baggage service, including an overview of railway stations offering this service, can be found at the SBB website.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2010 at 11:42:42 #831750

Annika, Thank you for answering all my questions promptly, you have been most helpful and my anxieties are relieved; I look forward to visiting Switzerland in two weeks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2010 at 15:55:24 #831751

I want to chime in on this topic. We just got back from Switzerland and we had an amazing experience with the bags. We were staying in Interlaken for most of our trip so we packed a lot of extra items. For the last part of our trip, we started a backpack in Saas Fee. Before we left for Saas Fee, we took our extra bag to the Interlaken West terminal and checked it through to the Zurich Oerlikon station (since that was near our last night’s hotel). After our backpack, we went to the Zurich Oerlikon station and had our bag within minutes. All for 10 Swiss Francs. The Swiss Railway system is definitely a well organized machine!

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    28 August 2010 at 4:04:05 #831752

I, too, can vouch for the quality and efficiency of the SBB baggage transport. Just a note of clarification, however. I believe same day service (drop by 9:00 am, receive by 6:00 pm) is 20 CHF per bag. Two day service is 10 CHF per bag. You can get all the details at http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/luggage.

• The thread ‘Checking my bags’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.