Finer details to prepare for a Swiss trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2019 at 7:23:47 #822218

Hey guys,

I will be making my first international trip in a couple of weeks time with my wife and our country of choice is the beautiful Switzerland. It is a bit hard to contain the excitement, but before we set sail, would like to take an opinion on things that we should keep handy for this trip, barring the basics- visa, tickets 🙂

Our visa, flight/ rail tickets and hotel bookings are done and we have a set itinerary for our 10 day visit (only Switzerland). We also plan to take a couple mountain excursions, one of them being the Jungfrau peak (tickets yet to be done).

Having said all of the above, I would like the experienced folks here to help me with any finer details we might need to keep in mind for the trip. Also, please provide some info on the amount of cash that should be carried for a 10 day trip and if its advisable to carry a Forex card.

We will be travelling from India and if this necessitates any additional preps (weather, clothes, etc.) do list them down.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    12 June 2019 at 10:34:11 #914914

Hi

I have visited Switzerland in May 2017 and shared my experiences on my blog http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-switzerland-may-2017. Pl click pages tabs Switzerland and Swiss Itinerary

But I feel you should share your itinerary and who will be travelling so forum members can give suggestions

Arno
    15483 posts
    12 June 2019 at 14:20:24 #914915

Hi Tunir,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Here’s are some tips about clothing/weather, Swiss francs and handy phone numbers and apps:

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    13 June 2019 at 19:27:08 #914916

We did a 9 day trip last October, and here are a few things we found, many of which have been mentioned in various forums on this website. Swiss Travel Pass is invaluable, especially for last minute changes to anticipated itineraries or impromptu side trips. Likewise, the Traveler's WiFi is great and works almost everywhere. Download the SBB rail/bus/boat timetable to your smartphone, iPad, etc. Boat rides on the various lakes are often a relaxing way to spend part of a day, stopping in towns along the way for lunch or sightseeing.

For mountain trips, be sure to check the live weather cams to see what the weather is on top before you leave. We left cloudy & drizzly weather in Lucerne for beautiful sunshine on Mt. Pilatus based on the live cameras, and had a great time. Have 1 & 2 Swiss franc coins on hand for WC visits; my wife especially approved of this idea after the first day. We got about $400US of Swiss francs at the beginning of the trip, and at our spending rate that lasted the entire trip. Mostly the cash was for small purchases, we used credit cards for hotels and dinners.

Since we were there in early October, we took hiking boots, sweater, and rain jacket; didn’t need any of those since we had great weather. Since you’re going very soon, you can probably skip the heavier clothing part but be aware the weather on the mountain tops can be quite a bit cooler and windier than down in the valleys; a rain jacket/shell would be a good idea.

Hope you have a great trip!

• The thread ‘Finer details to prepare for a Swiss trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.