Chiasso station changing time towards Lucerne

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
travel2019
travel2019
6 posts
Jun 18, 2019 - 12:06 PM

Hello,

We will be traveling from Milan to Lucerne and we have a half fare card. Checking the prices on trenitalia and sbb, it is cheaper to book Milan to Chiasso on Trenitalia and Chiasso to Lucerne on sbb. We will have a 5 mins to change stations in Chiasso. We will be traveling with my parents and kids and my parents won't be able to walk very fast. I am not sure how big the Chiasso station is. Is that enough time to switch platforms? Or should we look for a later train from Chiasso to Lucerne?

I don't see the map of Chiasso station on this site: www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/further-stations/station.5307. chiasso.html

Where can I find it?

Thanks,

Deepa

Steph
Steph
1979 posts
top member &
Jun 18, 2019 - 12:24 PM in reply to travel2019

Hello Travel2019,

The Chiasso station has a total of 5 or 6 tracks, so changing should not be a problem. If you make sure you're by the door with luggage ready when driving in to the station this will safe you few minutes.

If you buy a regular ticket from the SBB or from the vendors recommended in below link this ticket will be valid for the entire day on any of the trains, so if you miss the first one, or feel like breaking the journey for a coffee, simply do so and catch a later connection.
- www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/howtotra vel

I also haven't found a map of the station, if the SBB don't provide it, it might just as well not exist.

Happy journey and get back to us anytime.

Best,
Steph

Also see:
- www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy
- www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses

travel2019
travel2019
6 posts
Jun 18, 2019 - 12:29 PM

Thanks Steph! We are thinking of buying a super saver fare. Maybe we should buy a regular fare one to give us the flexibility of taking the next train in case we don't make this one.

Steph
Steph
1979 posts
top member &
Jun 18, 2019 - 12:35 PM in reply to travel2019

Or plan for a break in Chiasso anyway and buy a Supersaver ticket for the later train…?!?!
- www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland

travel2019
travel2019
6 posts
Jun 18, 2019 - 2:29 PM in reply to Steph

Thinking of that option as well. Thank you!

travel2019
travel2019
6 posts
Jun 18, 2019 - 2:57 PM

Are there benches that we can use while waiting for our train? And places to eat?

Arno
Arno
14101 posts
expert &
Jun 19, 2019 - 6:01 AM

Hi Travel2019,

All stations have benches. There's a kiosk/small shop at the Chiasso station. I don't know about restaurants.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019