Child traveling for free with Swiss Half Fare Card

Child traveling for free with Swiss Half Fare Card

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Sparksy
Sparksy
19 posts
May 28, 2018 - 12:38 PM

Hi,

Quick question: If I purchase a half fare card, my 14 year old child then travels free if he's travelling with me. Is this correct?

If it is correct, is there then no need to purchase any other passes for him - for example a child regional Bernese Oberland Pass or child Jungfrau travel pass? Are these passes now not necessary if I have a family card due to my purchase of the half price card?

Thank you

Last modified on May 28, 2018 - 12:40 PM by Sparksy
Lucas
Lucas
6430 posts
expert &
May 28, 2018 - 1:05 PM in reply to Sparksy

Hi Sparksy,

You need to order the free Swiss Family Card at time of purchase of the Swiss Half Fare Card. That is what entitles your child to travel free.

A note though: Will you have both the Swiss Half Fare Card and either the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland or Jungfrau Travel Pass for yourself? As some people travel with both during their trip.

If you are traveling in the Bernese Oberland / Jungfrau region and using either the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland or Jungfrau Travel Pass for that days travel (rather than using the Swiss Half Fare Card) then the Swiss Family Card does not apply for your child.

So, you must use The Swiss Half Fare Card and the ticket you bought at 50% off for the trip you are on for your child to be free on the Swiss Family Card.

Last modified on May 29, 2018 - 6:12 AM by Arno
Sparksy
Sparksy
19 posts
May 29, 2018 - 1:30 AM in reply to Lucas

Hi Lucas,

Ah yes - a very good point. I do plan to use the Bernese Oberland or Jungfrau pass along with the half fare card, so I will need to buy my son a pass too. (I thought it seemed too good to be true!!)

Thank you

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018