Swiss train tickets with children, buy in advance?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2017 at 8:38:39 #811082

Hi!

1.We have planned to do the chocolate train in May. I checked and was trying to book the tickets however, i am little confused on the process.

We are a family of 5 adults and 2 children aged 5 years and 6 months. Understand that kids below 6 travel free. So when i am trying to book the seats online, the website prompts me to choose the seats that i want. So, do i only choose 5 seats or 6? Will my 5 year old child get a seat since she is travelling free or does she have to sit on our laps?

2. We will be going to Zermatt. Will be driving down to Tasch and then taking the cogwheel train up to Zermatt. Is it necessary for me to book the cogwheel train ride in advance or can i do it when i arrive at tasch?

3. TRains to Jungfraujoch should be booked in advance or can be done there and then? Will there be any discounts for booking early.

Note: we are not purchasing the swiss travel pass as we will be going via car so the above 3 areas only we will be using the train.

Please assist to clarify! Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2017 at 16:31:08 #860123

Hi Suhaidah,

Reservations are generally not needed except a few panoramic trains (and your chocolate train). Here you will need to make a reservation for the 5 year old but not on your other train trips. You are only booking tickets otherwise and not specific seats, ie your children get a free seat usually.

You also may benefit from buying a Swiss Half Fare Card…once bought you get 50% off all trains fares.

Regards,
    Lucas

• The thread ‘Swiss train tickets with children, buy in advance?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.