• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2014 at 15:36:03 #806499

I am considering doing the chocolate train tour on our own. Does this
    mean taking the train to Gruyeres to visit the cheese factory, bus to
    Gruyere Castle, then back on the train to Broc to visit the Chocolate
    Factory, then back to Montreux? Would you suggest any rail passes like
    Swiss Pass or Swiss Half Fare pass for this itinerary?

I understand that there’s a free Montreux Riviera card that we can
    use around Montreux. Considering that we will travel from Chamonix, then
    Montreux, Gruyere, Broc, back to Montreux, then finally Geneva in 3
    days, I am thinking of getting a rail pass if that will be a cheaper
    option than buying individual tickets. I believe I can get the Swiss
    Pass at the airport in Geneva (no shipping cost).

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 July 2014 at 17:53:48 #840574

Hi aoshi0514, welcome to our website!

You pretty much summed up the excursion like it’s done if you book the official Chocolate Train day trip. If you go on your own, you can indeed do it like that, or in any other order. Also you can replace the 3 minute bus transfer by a 10 to 15 minute walk.

You will get a Montreux Riviera Card if you book a hotel in Montreux. However, it won’t include most of your plans. A link to more details can be found on the hotel page for Montreux. Either a Swiss Half Fare Card or a Swiss Pass is better.

A Swiss Half Fare Card is the cheapest one to buy. It will get you 50% off all traveling within Switzerland. A Swiss Pass includes much more though: you will get you free traveling (so you don’t need to get tickets for each trip). And, validity starts in Chamonix (France) already. Also it will get you free entrance to many museums, including the cheese and chocolate factories. Urban transport like buses and trams, e.g. in Geneva, is free too. See here for how to calculate which option is best for you.

You’d better not wait with your Swiss Pass purchase until you arrive at Geneva airport. There are several promotions if you buy online which will save you money. See the Swiss Pass page for details. Shipping costs aren’t really making a difference, as in many cases shipping is free, or free from a certain order amount. It’s the total amount that matters, and currently it’s cheaper to buy online.

I hope this was useful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2014 at 18:36:10 #840575

Thank you Arno.

I was reading about the other pass options, Swiss Half Fare and Swiss Saver Flexi Pass. Not sure what the difference is between the Swiss Saver and Swiss Saver Flexi Pass. I did calculations and our train travel cost may not balance out the Swiss Saver cost $279 USD) but the pass will give us flexibility to take unlmited travel on trains, buses and museum passes.

This is our travel itinerary: Chamonix-Montreux, Montreux-Gruyere-Broc-Montreux, then Montreux-Geneva, the pass will also cover Chateau du Chillon, Gruyere Castle (?), Gruyere Cheese Factory but not Callier Chocolatier

Any thoughts??

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 July 2014 at 18:53:12 #840576

You’re welcome! The Swiss Saver Pass includes consecutive days, the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass is for consecutive or non-consecutive days, so you can spread the free travel days over a maximum of one month. See the links for further details.

Personally, I like the freedom of just hopping on and off trains, boats, etc. and not buying tickets all the time. And with the extra discount, it’s a more attractive option. But it’s a personal decision. Money-wise, the only way to decide is to do the math as explained here.

The castle of Gruyères and Château de Chillon are also free with a Swiss Pass, so I think it’s a good deal, and certainly the most convenient one.

• The thread ‘Chocolate Train route question and Swiss Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.