Choosing a rail pass for Paris – Lausanne – Wengen

• Chowens
    Participant
    5 posts
    11 April 2018 at 19:36:45 #815273

Hi! We are coming to Switzerland May 26-June 1. I am having trouble deciding which rail pass to buy. We will be in Wengen 3 days to go hiking, and we won’t know exactly which lifts/hikes will be open then because of weather. I feel like we can’t make an exact itinerary until we get there. Could you give me some advice about which train pass you would buy? Also, could you direct me to a list of opening times of lifts and/or hikes? Lastly, could you recommend the best hikes to do near Wengen at the end of May? Here’s our itinerary:

May 26: Paris to Lausanne

May 27: Lausanne to Brig

May 28: Brig to Wengen

May 29, 30, 31: Stay in Wengen and hike as much as possible, depending on which trails/lifts/gondolas are open

June 1: Wengen back to Paris

Thank you for any help! I appreciate it!

Cathy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2018 at 0:26:59 #881980

Hi Cathy,

>> We will be in Wengen 3 days to go hiking, and we won’t know exactly which lifts/hikes will be open then because of weather … May 29, 30, 31: Stay in Wengen and hike as much as possible

Most of the mountain transport will be operating when you are there.

• The cable car from Wengen to Männlichen will not be operating (reopens on 1 Jun)
    • The funicular from Mürren to Allmendhubel will be closed between 9 Apr and 22 Jun.

Everything else will be in full swing.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2018 at 6:15:37 #881981

Hi Cathy,

The hikes will be hit and miss due to weather – best to check with the tourist office when you are there. For suggestions on hikes in the area click here.

Chowens
    Participant
    5 posts
    12 April 2018 at 16:50:40 #881982

Thanks for your responses! So it sounds like mountain transport will be mostly open, but hiking trails may or may not be open. Do people ride the transport up and down, even if they can’t do the hikes surrounding the transport? Or is it better to just stay at low altitudes and hike where you don’t need much transport? I ask because I’m trying to figure out which train pass to buy. If it’s unlikely that we can do many hikes that need mountain transport, then maybe the HFC would be more economical than the Swiss Pass? But if you recommend riding the mountain transport just for fun, then I will plan my itinerary around that. Mostly, we just want to see the awesome views and get lots of exercise.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2018 at 17:05:04 #881983

Yes, I think a fair number of people go up to the mountain tops without doing much hiking – I do!
    It is all about costs though for everyone and whether you think it is worth it for you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2018 at 0:20:50 #881984

>> Do people ride the transport up and down, even if they can’t do the hikes surrounding the transport? … But if you recommend riding the mountain transport just for fun, then I will plan my itinerary around that. Mostly, we just want to see the awesome views and get lots of exercise.

Yes, the mountain tops cater to all types of visitors, including those just going up for the views. Most peaks have a restaurant at the top, either adjacent to the top station of the cable car, funicular or train, or else close by. They usually have an outdoor sun terrace, where you can enjoy food and drink at reasonable prices (for Switzerland) whilst overlooking a stunning view.

Many peaks are also suitable for short strolls on top, even if you are not heading off on a hiking trail (or if the hiking trails are closed).

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Choosing a rail pass for Paris – Lausanne – Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.