Choosing a Swiss rail pass for 4 days itinerary

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2019 at 0:53:01 #824557

Thank you for posting and sharing your wonderful site. I’m very excited for our upcoming trip to Switzerland.

I would love your advice on train travel and our itinerary. We are travelling to Switzerland in a few weeks (Dec 26-29) and I’m not sure if I need to book tickets ahead since its the holiday season. We are a family of 4 (2 adults 2 girls 14 & 15).

Itinerary

Dec 26th – Colmar to Interlaken….I’m assuming its cheapest to take a train from Colmar to Basel and then utilize a half price card for the remainder of the journey. The idea would be to go to Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen/Schilthorn/Grindelwald/Interlaken or similar. I would love the girls to get a taste for the swiss mountains and possibly go sledding. Right now we are booked to stay in Interlaken 1 night and Lucerene for all the night (I will cancel Lucerene for 1 night if we stay in Interlaken)

Dec 27 Lucerene/Mt. Titlis/Chapel Bridge/Lion Monument

Dec 28 Train to Chur or walk around Zurich

Dec 29 Zurich to Salzburg via Innsbruck

Questions:

Should I add or remove anything from our itinerary?

Does it make more sense to stay in Interlaken or Lucerene on the 26th/27th and Zurich the other nights?

Is the half price card best for our travel and would I be able to use that on the Zurich to Salzburg train ride?

If the girls travel free with a Half price card – do I need to reserve a ticket for them or they just get on the train? If no ticket is required, how do we know what seats are not already purchased/reserved seats?

Do I need to have the seats reserved during the holiday season?

Any advice is appreciated. I have looked over all the information ad its so overwhelming.

• The thread ‘Choosing a Swiss rail pass for 4 days itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.