Choosing travel pass for a family of 6 if driving

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2016 at 14:08:27 #809455

Hi, We are planning to travel from Prague to Swiss by car next month and so we will be travelling between cities by car. Though we will not be using public transport for basic and inter-city commutes, all the other mountain travel and boat ride tickets are to be paid for. So I’m not sure how to decide on a best pass for our family of 6 (me, my husband, my parents and our 6-year old son).Of course we are sure to travel on the Golden panoramic train and also to Jungfraujoch. Otherwise our itinerary has couple of mountain climbs (Mt. Pilatus /Rochers-de-Naye) and boat rides on the lakes of Geneva and Zurich.

Request the experienced travelers to suggest a best pass for my situation.

Many Thanks!

Madhu.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 June 2016 at 14:19:07 #853159

Thanks for your first post Madhu!

Most drivers pick the Swiss Half Fare Card. I think that’s the best option for you as well. It allows you to buy 50% discounted tickets for nearly all trips, and your son will travel along for free. Please find all details and a video here: myswissalps.com/ swisshalffarecard.

You can print the Swiss Half Fare Card at home so it’s ready to use when you’re in Switzerland: to do so, please visit http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass within 3 business days (no delivery fees).

Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2016 at 14:30:40 #853160

Dear Arno,

Thank you for your prompt reply! I now see that the Half fare card would be my best option. I know it involves waiting lines at every ticket station but I think it is a better option comparing the cost as well!

Counting my days to visit the beautiful country!

Thanks again for your help!! Cheers 🙂

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 June 2016 at 14:41:20 #853161

You’re welcome! In case of train trips you can get your tickets from the machines as well. There are hardly any queues there. Once you know how they work you’ll save time that way. As you can print the Swiss Half Fare Card while you’re still at home, you can go straight to these machines for your tickets.

Have fun!

• The thread ‘Choosing travel pass for a family of 6 if driving’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.