Christmas Eve dinner in Zermatt options?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 September 2017 at 22:46:35 #813401

Hi there, we’re going to be in Zermatt from 23rd to 26th December and would love to get recommendations for a Christmas eve dinner for a party of 4 adults & 4 kids (ages from 5 to 10). We’ve read about Stockhorn Grill but would be great to have a few more options.

And for Christmas Day, I read that all (or most) of the shops would be closed and a great way to spend the day would be lunch up in the mountains – appreciate recommendations there too or anywhere else you folks would think we’d have fun.

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    1 October 2017 at 20:45:55 #870437

We stayed in Zermatt for 4days in September. There were 10 people in our party and we all agreed Walliserstube was the best. Also rated # 3 on trip advisor restaurants There were 2 restaurants at our hotel on the mountain with great view of Matterhorn. Hotel is called Riffelalp which is also the train stop(2 stops above Zermatt). Their casual restaurant is Al Boca which is Italian and very good also. We did not eat at the high end restaurant. By the way Riffelalp hotel is absolutely First rate but pricey. It has been completely remodeled 1 year ago and beautiful with probably the best view of the Matterhorn in the area. Much better view of Matterhorn than any in Zermatt and much closer than top of Gornergrat.

Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2017 at 8:33:59 #870438

Hi RakeshK and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I am not too familiar with restaurants in Zermatt. I was there two years ago for two nights and both nights we ate at the hotel (included in the room price).

I would note that many restaurants may be closed for the holiday and you may want to focus on hotel restaurants. Certainly for Christmas day the best idea is to spend it on the mountain (yes most shops will be closed for the 25th and 26th).

Have a look at Gornergrat and Klein Matterhorn for a nice way to spend the day with your family.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2017 at 0:18:13 #870439

Thanks Lucas & Marki for your suggestions!

• The thread ‘Christmas Eve dinner in Zermatt options?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.