Christmas markets in Switzerland – 2018 dates?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 11:37:25 #817093

Good day travelers!

I have read the awesome post by maggiehorswell about her Christmas market experiences, but I wasn’t able to reply on her thread. I am doing some research for 2018’s markets, but I cannot find all the info about when they are open. Where did you go to do your research? We will be visiting Switzerland from 9-16 December. Our rout takes us to; St.Gallen, Zurich, Basel, Bern, Signau, Gruyeres, Montreux, Luzern, Einsideln, Brienz and Murren. I already have a planned itinerary, so would like to see what markets will be open on the dates we are in the area.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 July 2018 at 14:57:16 #890282

Hi Elizna –

Try this site:

http://www.brunnvalla.ch/chri stmasmarkets/switzerla nd.html

By the way, although I have stayed in Signau a few times in the past, since the Bären has changed hands after Herr Bürri left, I have not been back there. I find it a very attractive Emmental town. If I may ask, what takes you to Signau? No Christmas market there, apparently. ;-(

There are markets at other nearby towns, such as Langnau, of course, just down the tracks a short distance.

Basel and Montreux are usually considered among the best and largest, and with a different “styles” if that is the right word.

Zürich has a nice one in the main station under a roof, and also there are smaller ones around the city. The one at Sechselaütenplatz, near Bellevue, has a strong emphasis on food.

Slowpoke

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    5 July 2018 at 15:01:30 #890283

Luzern and Zurich have very nice markets and are open most, if not all, of Dec. Zurich Main station has a 3 story crystal tree.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 15:13:41 #890284

Yes, one thing to note is that the markets at smaller towns tend to only be open for a week or weekend only.I think they move from one town to the next. Larger town’s markets are there from around the last week of November until around Dec.23 usually.

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    5 July 2018 at 20:12:51 #890285

In my village, we have nice one day market even in the snow.

cam223
    Participant
    97 posts
    5 July 2018 at 21:34:16 #890286

We went to the outside Christmas market in Zurich last year. It had lots of interesting ornaments, food, art prints, etc. We didn’t stay at the one inside the station, since it was too crowded.

In comparison, we had just been in Paris and had gone to the one at La Defense which was really horrible. Lots of junk and very unpleasant.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2018 at 0:08:00 #890287

This link might help:

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-au/events.html?strubrik=2161

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2018 at 6:44:38 #890288

Sounds nice! What village are you in?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2018 at 12:01:14 #890289

Thank you for all the info!

If I may ask, what takes you to Signau? – We were looking for affordable accommodation close to Bern, but found a Restored farmhouse Air BnB between Signau and Eggiwil. The price is great, the host gives breakfast, and she is nice enough to pick you up at the bus stop 4km away from her property.

We will definitely be able to visit the markets at Zurich station, Basel and Montreux. And we are also lucky enough to be in Stein am Rhein on 16 December for their Middle Ages Market! http://www.maerlistadt.ch/Mit telalter-Markt/

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 July 2018 at 12:09:31 #890290

Thanks –

Truly in the heart of the Emmental….right on the River Emme.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Christmas markets in Switzerland – 2018 dates?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.