Christmas town between Bremgarten and St Gallen

• Fritzrab
    Participant
    45 posts
    6 January 2020 at 21:32:00 #824817

Hi, We are planning in December ,2-3 week trip, from Geneva to St Moritz. We are wondering if anyone can recommend a good stop to visit for a couple of nights between Bremgarten and St Gallen. Hopefully a beautiful town with lots of Christmas spirit and holiday market. Many thanks,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 January 2020 at 1:07:37 #927530

Hi Fritz-

It would be helpful to know your travel dates, as suggested in the forum guidelines.

That is because of the schedules of the Christmas markets.

Absent that information, I suggest Montreux and Zürich.

http://www.myswissalps.com/activities/christmasmarkets

and,

http://www.brunnvalla.ch/christmasmarkets/switzerland.html

Slowpoke

By the way, Bremgarten has always appealed to me, but I never stayed there. May I ask – what takes you there?

I’ m told that there is a piano in the rooms at the top of the tower…;-)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 January 2020 at 12:01:37 #927531

Hello Fritzrab,

Actually, Bremgarten itself is quite famous for its Christmas Market:
    http://www.weihnachtsmarkt.ch/

And practically all towns and villages around the country have a Christmas Market, so you could also make the route dependant on other criteria.

Best,
    Steph

Fritzrab
    Participant
    45 posts
    7 January 2020 at 15:13:42 #927532

Thanks for your replies. We will be traveling between Bremgarten and St Gallen around the first 2 weeks of December. We haven’t made our dates firm yet so we are flexible. We were in Bremgarten in 2017 and it was charming, especially as we lucked into the Samichlaus parade and town gathering. We will stop there again but would like 1 or 2 nights after we leave there and move on to St Gallen. We have been to Bern and would prefer somewhere different this time.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 January 2020 at 15:50:07 #927533

Hi Fritzrab-

If you must go eastward from Bremgarten, the list on the Brunvalla link that I provided may give you some hints.

If you are not limited to eastward travel, Basel and Montreux are among the best and largest, with Montreux having a different character than the ones in the German- speaking region.

I have gone to Bremgarten many times for photography, but never stayed there. The Hotel Sonne has caught my eye as I walked through town.

We ate lunch once at the Stadthof, looking over the river. Better than average food quality; nice setting.

Where do you prefer to stay?

Slowpoke

Fritzrab
    Participant
    45 posts
    7 January 2020 at 19:22:28 #927534

We will be starting in Montreux, then to Gruyere, then to Bremgarten … We have stayed in Hotel Sonne and it was charming. We prefer small towns to the larger cities but may decide to include Zurich. We’ve been there a couple of times in the fall but never in the winter. Thanks for the list on the Brunvalla link.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 January 2020 at 20:48:00 #927535

Hi Fritzrab –

I have enjoyed the Christmas markets in Zürich for many years, but did not make the trip in 2019. The one in the Hbf is large enough to have some unique booths. Not as charming as the smaller markets, but, effective. I usually buy Springerle ( Anisbrötli) molds there for my sister. Sometimes something from one of the glassblowers for the Christmas tree.

The on at Secheslaütenplatz ( near Bellevue) has grown, after they redesigned and enlarged the space beginning in 2015. There is a Weinachtsdorf there these days. There is a strong emphasis on food; for example, eine Fonduestube.

The pendant string lights on the Bahhofplatz make an impressive display as you look along the length of the street. I first saw them in Züri, but since then have seen them in other places.

I often find nice things from local artisans at the villages in the Emmental; in many cases the fairs are quite small, but I like to stay in the area, so they are readily accessible.

It is also a nice time to visit Bern. If you are lucky, you may see one of the modes of reducing local unemployment – a crew of 4 on that trolley shown in the attached image

Slowpoke

PS – I misspelled “Swarovski” in the title of one of the images, but it is impressive no matter how you spell it. 😉

Fritzrab
    Participant
    45 posts
    7 January 2020 at 21:05:12 #927536

Thank you.

• The thread ‘Christmas town between Bremgarten and St Gallen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.