Best trains and tickets Chur-Brig-Zurich Airport

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2019 at 5:05:56 #823537

Someone suggested that I spend a night in Chur when I travel from Salzburg to Zurich Airport so I can do the scenic train ride the next day between Chur & Brig (and even possibly Thun) before heading to Zurich airport to catch a flight at 9pm.

This sounds pretty appealing but I’m a bit confused on how to do this. From looking at the trains schedules, this seems possible but I’m not sure which trains would be best & which tickets/pass I should purchase. I would like to take the 9:26am departure from Chur to make it possible. Should I get a daily Swiss pass & just get on the normal commuter trains or should I hop on the Glacier Express for the Chur-Brig leg? Would a daily Swiss pass allow me to hop on the 9:26am departure using the Glacier Express train or I need to buy a separate ticket?

FYI, I will be spending a week in Austria beforehand. I’m trying to make the most of my scenic train experience by taking detours before ultimately arriving at the Zurich airport at the latest 6pm on 2 October.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    23 August 2019 at 5:29:30 #920777

Hi Mariejoe, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Just to make sure: do you have October 2 only for the entire ride Chur-Brig-Zurich Airport, meaning you’ll have to get there at 6pm the same day? It’s doable if you leave early. You’d best consult the advanced SBB timetable at http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable to plan your journey, entering Brig and possible other destinations such as Thun as via-stations. The entire journey will take about 6 to 7 hours, of course excluding any sightseeing in Thun (http://www.myswissalps.com/th un). You’d even be able to catch the 09.26 Glacier Express from Chur if you like. The difference between Glacier Express trains and regular trains is addressed at http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress.

An alternative to the route via Thun would be Brig-Spiez-Interlaken-Lucerne-Zurich, which includes part of the Golden Pass route (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) as well.

As for tickets and passes: there’s no “daily Swiss Pass”, but you may be referring to the Saver Day Pass? That would most likely be the most economical solution for this day trip: http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass. Buying early in advance increases your chances of getting it for a low price: http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass/price.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 August 2019 at 5:46:16 #920778

Hi Mariejoe,

You have to get seat reservations to travel on the actual Glacier Express. That is additional to a ticket or Saver Day Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2019 at 5:59:18 #920779

Thank you for your quick response! yes, I want to do this all on 1 day, October 2nd. I looked at the timetable & it looks like if I leave Chur at 9:26am I would arrive in Brigg at 1:40pm, then I could either take the 1:48pm or 2:48pm departure to Thun. I would arrive in Thun at 2:34pm or 3:34pm. From Thun to Zurich Airport, take the 2:36pm or 3:36pm departure. I would arrive at Zurich airport at 4:14pm or 5:14pm.

Yes I mean the Saver Day Pass (sorry for using the wrong teminology) which I can buy now for October 2nd for only CHF 52. That would be a great deal if I can do all those train ourneys. What confuses me is that I thought the Saver Day Pass does not cover the Glacier Express but I would like to take the 9:26am departure which is only possible on the Glacier Express. So should I forget about the Saver Day Pass & buy a ticket on the Glacier Express or since I would only do a partial route (Chur-Brig), will I be allowed on the Glacier Express or should I just leave a bit later on a regular train to take advantage of the Saver Day Pass?

FYI, for that day, I’m not looking at really visiting any of the locations per say but just maximizing my scenic train journey on the way to Zurich airport. I know that might sound crazy, but I’m currently dealing with a calf/foot injury. I can walk normally but just for a short period of time so I want to just splurge on a scenic train ride instead of just sitting somewhere & wait for my flight to leave.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 August 2019 at 6:07:44 #920780

The Saver Day Pass does work with the Glacier Express but you need reservations in addition.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2019 at 6:13:57 #920781

Thank you rockoyster for your response. So does this mean I have to buy an additional completely different ticket if I want to take the 9:26am departure or my Saver Day Pass will work but I just have to get a seat reservation? I’m sorry, but this is what is really confusing to me.

1. Saver Day Pass works for Glacier Express but I need a seat reservation

or

2. I have to buy a totally separate ticket with a seat reservation & forget completely about the Saver Day Pass as the ticket from Brig to Zurich airport is cheaper than CHF 52

or

3. Use a different departure on a regular train other than the Glacier Express to take advantage of Saver Day Pass. If that’s possible, would that still provide me with a scenic ride?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2019 at 6:18:04 #920782

Thank you rochoyster! Looks like our posts crossed path. Great so I will get the Saver Day Pass & make a reservation on the Glacier Express for the 9:26am departure. Once I arrive in Brig, I can decide if I will go to Thun or just head directly to Zurich airport from there. I will check the reservations link & see if I have any other questions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    23 August 2019 at 6:30:15 #920783

Hi Mariejoe! Correct, you’ve got it all figured out now :-). You can arrrange for your Saver Day Pass and Glacier Express reservations here:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2019 at 6:30:43 #920784

Can you please guide me on which option I should choose under “travellers” when I make a reservation only? Assuming I would have the Saver Day Pass, should I choose “1-day travel pass at your commune” or “Swiss travel pass” or something else so I’m only charged for the reservation & not the ticket itself?

Sorry for all the questions but I just want to make sure I do this correctly.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 August 2019 at 7:16:36 #920785

Choose any option that gets you a 100% discount off the ticket price. So either of the options you mention or “Own Ticket” or “No Ticket”. I can’t remember the exact terminology.

One day they may get with the program and include “Saver Day Pass”. 😎

The direct connection from Brig to the Airport will go through Thun any.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2019 at 7:56:14 #920786

Great! Thank you Annika & Rockoyster!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 August 2019 at 8:29:25 #920787

Hi Mariejoe,

Check out the timetable for Brig to Zurich Airport via Kandersteg. It will take a little longer than going via Visp but you will then travel between Brig and Spiez on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. The Regio-Express Lötschberger runs through to Bern.

Via Visp you spend a fair bit of the trip in a tunnel. You should have time.

Enjoy. 🤓

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2019 at 9:28:42 #920788

Annika says : An alternative to the route via Thun would be Brig-Spiez-Interlaken-Lucerne-Zurich, which includes part of the Golden Pass route (http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass) as well.

Thanks for the suggestion Annika but I did the Luzern-Zurich train ride last spring. It was beautiful but I would like to see a new route this time.

Thanks rockoyster for the suggestion on using the route via Kandersteg. I looked at the timetable & I should be able to do that & still arrive at the airport before 6pm. I’m also more comfortable with the additional amount of time between connections.

• The thread ‘Best trains and tickets Chur-Brig-Zurich Airport’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.