Clarification required on Flexi pass rules

• atmdel
    Participant
    10 posts
    3 February 2016 at 5:41:25 #808362

Hi! was evaluating which pass to go for and had a few questions โ€“ the answers would help me in choosing which pass to go for. Please do share your understanding as i find the rules not very explicit ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Suppose I Buy an 8 day Flexi pass โ€“ on the days i choose not to use it ( i am in switzerland for 17 days), do i still get :

• a. discounts via the museum card if i choose to visit a museum on a day that iโ€™m not using the flexi pass but paying normal train fare?
    • b. Discounts if i buy a regional card on the days in between โ€“ esp BO pass or Tell pass?

2. If I buy the flexi pass with HFC, Can I :

• a. Use the HFC on day 1 and Flexi pass on day 2?
    • b. Will I be able to use family card for my daughter on days that Iโ€™m not using flexi, but just using HFCc. Get museum discounts even on in between days that im using HFC ie if a museum is close by , so doesnโ€™t make sense to use it as a flexi day, will i still get an entry discount because i have a Flexi pass?

Basically I am leaning towards a flexi pass supplemented by Regional pass like BO โ€“ but still working on the math ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 February 2016 at 6:30:23 #848138

Hi atmdel,

You can find such details on myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpassflex/ howtouse.

1. No, there are no discounts or other advantages on those days.

2. a. This is the Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi. The โ€œCombiโ€ part (Swiss Half Fare Card) only applies between the first and last free travel day.

2. b. The Swiss Family Card can be used on all days. Free museums entrance only applies on free travel days. There are no discounts either.

In general a Swiss Travel Pass Flex is not a good choice for most travelers. Itโ€™s too expensive and there are too many limitations. Of course there are exceptions where it is actually a good fit. But usually, a Swiss Travel Pass, Swiss Half Fare Card, or a regional pass is better and cheaper. You should indeed do the math. Itโ€™s explained here.

atmdel
    Participant
    10 posts
    3 February 2016 at 6:42:40 #848139

Hi.

Thanks for the clarifications โ€ฆ The Swiss travel pass is not making sense in my case coz we are arriving in Zurich, spending a night and heading out to lake como via Lugano. Then after 4 nights come back to do Switzerland for 12 days. So I cannot use the Swiss travel pass as I donโ€™t have 15 consecutive days :(. My only option would be flexi pass for 15 days or then regional passes like tell pass and BO/ Jungfrau pass.

Post como I am spending 4 nights in Lucerne, 5 nights in Wengen and 2 nights in Lausanne. Heading back from Lausanne to zurichvto catch flight back home.

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 February 2016 at 7:00:37 #848140

Hi atmdel,

There might be another option. There are very cheap tickets from Zurich to Milan (and thus Como) if you book early: myswissalps.com/traint ickets/italy/price. In that case you can just buy a pass for the days after Lake Como. A 15-day Swiss Travel Pass could make sense as your 3 base towns are spread over Switzerland, so regional passes may not work. Perhaps you could even do with an 8-day pass if you plan your first and last days wisely. You may again be able to buy a cheap ticket from Italy to Lucerne, for example.

But, as said, the only way to know for sure is to the math. The link in my previous post will help you do so. This promotion might be of interest too: myswissalps.com/forum/ topic/book-early-to-save-35-on-train-tickets.

• The thread โ€˜Clarification required on Flexi pass rulesโ€™ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

Weโ€™re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annikaโ€™s 20-minute e-mail course, โ€œSwitzerland for beginnersโ€. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.