Rail pass for 3 days in Wengen in June

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 12:19:05 #816112

A. I’m a solo traveller. I’m basing myself in Wengen 8-10 June 2018. I wish to do the following 1/2 & full day trips. I need help. Please could you let me know which train passes and cable car passes I need( ie can these trips be accessed via one train pass and one cable car pass or do I have to purchase individual passes for each trip? I don’t want to spend time waiting in long summer queues but wish to purchase economically). .

Trips:

1. Murren/Schilthorn- Train from Wengen to Lauterbrunnen. Cable car to Murren. Then go to Schilthorn. Then either walk downhill or get cable car to valley floor. Return to Wengen.

2.Trip to Männlichen- Accessed by the Wengen–Männlichen aerial cableway, for graded walks. Return to Wengen.

3. Trummelbach Falls- Train from Wengen to Lauterbrunnen. Unsure how to get from Lauterbrunnen to Trummelbach Falls. Return to Wengen.

4. Half day –Train from Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg for graded walks. See unique views of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau mountains.

B. On 10 June I’m departing Wengen for Lucerne. I’ve heard that there is a more scenic train trip from Lauterbrunnen to Lucerne that goes via Meiringen. It is slower and goes via the lake, than the fast train from Lauterbrunnen to Lucerne.What train line/train pass is needed?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    20 May 2018 at 18:53:59 #885879

Hi Cheryl bell, welcome to MySwissAlps! Let’s look into your questions:

A. If you’d spend time in the Jungfrau region only, the Jungfrau Travel Pass would suit the plans you’ve listed well. However, I understand you’ll be visiting Lucerne too. In that case a rail pass covering all of Switzerland, such as the Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card, could be a better choice. You can only tell for sure if you list all of your plans, including the days in Lucerne and your inbound and outbound journeys, and do the math as explained here.

B. Correct, the route you describe is called the Lucerne-Interlaken Express and it’s part of the Golden Pass line. The timetable shows these connections by default (as the alternative route through Bern takes longer).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2018 at 2:20:13 #885880

Hi Cheryl,

>> Trummelbach Falls- Train from Wengen to Lauterbrunnen. Unsure how to get from Lauterbrunnen to Trummelbach Falls.

You can walk (easy walk along the valley floor) or get bus #141 (direction: Stechelberg) to the stop Trümmelbachfälle (about 7 minutes). The bus stop for the Stechelberg bus is just outside Lauterbrunnen railway station. You leave the station at street level, and cross the road to the bus stop, which is outside a bakery (Bäckerei-Café von Allmen) and adjacent to the Grütschalp cable car.

Walking in the Lauterbrunnen valley

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/lauterbrunnen-stechelberg

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Rail pass for 3 days in Wengen in June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.