Clothing advice Lucerne/Interlaken in May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2019 at 14:04:49 #821661

Hi! We are a couple planning to visit Switzerland from India in next week of May 2019, staying 4 nights at Interlaken & 2 nights at Lucerne. We would also be visiting Jungfrau region(except the peak)/Mt. Titlis/Mt.Pilatus.

Please advice the kind of clothing required given I can see it is still windy and cloudy and going to remain same as per forecast. What all do we need to buy – woolens/jackets/wind-cheaters(water-resistant)/gloves/caps/warm socks etc.?

Since the overall time for visit to higher mountain areas will be less, will light woolens/winter jackets do along with multiple layers of clothes and thermals? or getting heavier and long jackets will be necessary?

We are not planning to take any day-trip package to visit these peaks, and intend to roam at our own pace ourselves using public transportation. Kindly advice.

Many thanks..

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    15 May 2019 at 15:42:04 #912435

Hi Vishal,

The local people wear layers of light clothes (rather than a tee shirt and a heavy coat). So if you have an undershirt, a shirt, a light sweater, and a rain jacket, you will be fine. The rain jacket should have a hood. You might want to add a woolen hat. Have good shoes (even if you don’t hike), that you can wear with woolen socks. And a light backpack to stow the layer that you don’t want to wear. Gloves won’t be necessary, but maybe a scarf.

Nobody cares about fashion, unless you spend the evening in a five-star hotel.

I would say sunglasses are an essential piece of gear.

Enjoy the trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2019 at 20:53:49 #912436

Forecast temps next week in Interlaken are 8*c low to 15*c maximum.

Any higher elevations will be colder. I find that very cold (7* colder than it is at home currently) and I’ll be dressing up warm and I’ll be taking a down jacket to visit the peaks. But, I feel the cold more than others.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2019 at 5:41:18 #912437

Thanx a lot Snowman and Paddinton, I am planning to get a TREK100 MEN’S HOODED MOUNTAIN TREKKING INSULATED JACKET from decathalon so I believe that should be good enough along with thermals and tshirt inside. I was doubtful about gloves but now I can skip based on your suggestions. Will get a sunglass for sure 🙂

Raincoat I wanna ditch, should I? How long does it rains?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2019 at 6:16:44 #912438

Who knows.

But so far every day of our trip starting at the end of May for more than 30 days while we are in Switzerland, France and Italy the forecast is for rain. Fingers crossed that the weather forecast is not accurate.

http://www.accuweather.com/en /ch/interlaken/79356_p oi/daily-weather-forecast/79356_poi?day=1

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2019 at 8:27:49 #912439

If you belong to central / western India like I do, I would recommend to carry gloves . It wont really add much to the weight 🙂

When we were there, it did rain for 3 days and whenever it did, it generally drizzled but again that cannot be generalised.

Meteo website also provides forecast at a finer granularity ( guess every few hours ) for ever day.It will help to take a look. However as is advised, the forecasts tend to be more accurate upto 3 days before any date. so keep checking.

In Summary, I would advise you to carry rain Jackets if not too much of a hassle.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2019 at 15:40:40 #912440

Hi Vishal,

Sounds like a great trip you are planning to Switzerland! We are having a colder May than expected, plus you will be going to some high altitude places. Therefore I would definitely suggest bringing warm clothing and lots of layers as mentioned previously!

You can read more about the weather in Switzerland here: http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather

Where you can also get a weather forecast. You can also read more about what Switzerland is like month by month here http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

There are many threads on this subject on our forum, so I would suggest you also do a search to get more information (top right hand side box). Here is one such thread from someone who also came in May! http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/what-to-wear-in-switzerland-in-may-2018

Links to your destinations:

Hope this helps for your planning and have a great trip!

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2019 at 8:36:35 #912441

Thank you all, as per your all suggestions, I have bought a rain coat too. Now looking forward to have a great time out there. 🙂

• The thread ‘Clothing advice Lucerne/Interlaken in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.