Clothing (boots) around Murren and excursions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 13:21:24 #815501

My husband and I are traveling from US to Amsterdam and on to Lucerne for 6 days late May. We are doing day trips from Lucerne including overnight in Murren and area (waterfalls). Also Mt Titlis. Trying to pack light. Do we need boots and very cold weather coats.

thanks for help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 16:20:57 #883078

Hi Babs,

You don’t need very cold weather coats. I would recommend to wear layers when you go up in the mountains. If you plan to do some hiking, I would recommend to bring proper hiking shoes/trail shoes.

Please see these pages for a basic understanding of what to expect and how to dress:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 19:55:02 #883079

Hi Chantel,

Thanks for your information. I am particularly thinking of the area around Jungfraujock if we get that far.

I also imagine That Trummelbach area is wet but not snow covered.

I will definitely take layers and rain protection.

Thanks again.

B abs

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2018 at 2:49:14 #883080

Hi Babs,

>> Do we need boots and very cold weather coats … I am particularly thinking of the area around Jungfraujock if we get that far.

As long as you have shoes that have a good grip and are reasonably waterproof, that would be sufficient for walking about on the snow on the plateau at the Jungfraujoch. The snow there is compacted, so you don’t sink into it. There is a slope up to the plateau from the Jungfraujoch building, so shoes with a good grip will help avoid slipping, as it sometimes gets a bit icy with all the foot traffic. I have attached a couple of pictures taken in December 2016 of people walking about on the plateau (and the views you get from there).

In addition to your clothing layers, a cap, scarf and gloves can go a long way towards helping you to stay comfortable in chilly temperatures, and are compact, light and easy to carry.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2018 at 12:04:23 #883081

Thank you so much for sending the detailed information about the area. I will definitely take your advice and am confident of being very comfortable.

Warm regards,

Babs

stodgytj
    Participant
    52 posts
    25 April 2018 at 12:08:19 #883082

Currently in Interlaken. Very warm here. Lauterbrunnen is warm. Murren is warm. Haven’t gone up to’ Jungfraujoch yet but Its warmer then normal. We didn’t pack enough warm weather clothing so be prepared,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2018 at 13:39:23 #883083

Thank you for the update. I guess we have to be prepared for anything. I wasn’t thinking warm in that area!! Enjoy the rest of your travels.

Babs

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2018 at 13:51:24 #883084

Hi Alpenrose. The pictures are fabulous. We are so excited!!

Babs

• The thread ‘Clothing (boots) around Murren and excursions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.