Coffee included in breakfast & if so, what quality

• remyo
    Participant
    26 posts
    10 June 2013 at 10:51:38 #806046

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could speak to the general custom of whether coffee is included in half board for breakfast.

Also, what is the price range for coffee if it’s not included? Also, is coffee served at huts at lunch time?

Also, how is the quality?

I’m planning whether to bring my portable coffee maker and grounds on our hut-to-hut trip.

Thanks 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    10 June 2013 at 13:41:26 #838857

Yes, coffee is included with breakfast and is usually available at huts at lunch time as well.

Quality ranges from very good to pretty bad, just like everywhere else in the world.

If you’re a coffee snob (like me) for sure bring your own. I usually travel with my Peets and a pour over single cup brewer.

If you take cream or milk in your coffee you will feel like you’ve died and gone to heaven. As you might expect, the dairy products in Switzerland are over the moon.

If you drink decaf you definitely need to bring your own. When available it is usually made with instant granules.

remyo
    Participant
    26 posts
    10 June 2013 at 13:46:26 #838858

[quote]kim11 said: Yes, coffee is included with breakfast and is usually available at huts at lunch time as well.
    Quality ranges from very good to pretty bad, just like everywhere else in the world.
    If you’re a coffee snob (like me) for sure bring your own. I usually travel with my Peets and a pour over single cup brewer.
    If you take cream or milk in your coffee you will feel like you’ve died and gone to heaven. As you might expect, the dairy products in Switzerland are over the moon.
    If you drink decaf you definitely need to bring your own. When available it is usually made with instant granules.[/quote]

Kim, a snob I am, and I’m glad I asked. Do they generously offer hot water for your pourover or do you have to pay for that?

Thanks so much!

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    10 June 2013 at 16:27:41 #838859

At places where breakfast is included with room there will not be additional charge

Don’t know about at other times. My guess is that if you buy something else some places will give you hot water for free. However, huts may charge you since everything (including drinking water and fuel to heat it) usually has to be lifted in by helicopter

• The thread ‘Coffee included in breakfast & if so, what quality’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.