Cogwheel train charge if staying in Wengen?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 October 2017 at 10:07:57 #813405

my family and i are planning a trip to switzerland next year. we chose to rent a car as it would be easier to travel around, along with our luggage (6 adults + 1 toddler). if we choose to stay in Wengen for 4 nights (which is car free), do we still need to pay for the cogwheel train everytime we travel in and out of Wengen? Also, do we need to pay for parking when we park at the cogwheel station? We are contemplating whether to stay in Wengen (car free) or somewhere else like Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen. FYI, this is a 2 week vacation where only 4 nights will be spent around this area and we’re planning our budget for this. Thanks in advance and look forward to your reply.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 October 2017 at 15:39:12 #870452

Hi shasya07,

Yes, you will have to pay for the train to/from Wengen and Lauterbrunnen (or a gondola trip if you go elsewhere).

My suggestion for car drivers is to buy a Swiss Half Fare Card regardless of where you stay in Switzerland as you will be using trains and gondolas most likely anyway (in Wengen whether you want to or not! unfortunately). The card gets you 50% off all travel in Switzerland so it doesn’t take too many trips to make up the purchase cost. With the Swiss Half Fare Card the cost to from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen is less than 4chf. Parking in Lauterbrunnen would also have a cost for you.

Most people stay there and use the trains and cable cars to explore the mountains and often don’t touch their car during their stay there.

Wengen is a lovely town, but not convenient if you plan to use the car to explore the region – if your plan is to take the car frequently (where possible of course) I would recommend staying in Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald.

• The thread ‘Cogwheel train charge if staying in Wengen?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.