Combination of Eurail and Swiss rail passes

Combination of Eurail and Swiss rail passes

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
deepak0703
deepak0703
4 posts
Apr 29, 2017 - 4:50 AM

My wife and I are planning our tour of France, Switzerland and Italy. For travelling in France and Italy, and between France and Switzerland and Switzerland and Italy, we planning to buy Eurail 8 days in 2 months saver pass. But in Switzerland we will be staying off Interlaken (Gsteigwiler) for 5 days and extensively using local transport, for going around. Now, Swiss Rail pass is available for 4 days or 8 days. What is the most economical way to take care of our travel needs on the fifth day?

Arno
Arno
10304 posts
expert &
Apr 29, 2017 - 8:08 AM

Welcome to MySwissAlps Deepak0703!

The 4-day Swiss Travel Pass will work if you have planned limited traveling on your first or last day in the area. Your hotel in Gsteigwiler will give you a free Visitors Card. It includes free access to the local buses and trains to Interlaken, so you still have some options. You can pay for additional tickets to travel outside of that area. Another option is the 6-day Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland so you are fully covered for a large region during your entire stay.

deepak0703
deepak0703
4 posts
Apr 29, 2017 - 11:28 AM

I really admire the speed and quality of your replies. Simply amazing! Thanks a lot, Arno!

LisaMarieOT
LisaMarieOT
2 posts
Apr 30, 2017 - 4:16 AM

Situation: Similar question. We are doing a 16 day trip (Italy - Switzerland - ending in France) and I'm learning about the trains/passes also. I'm looking at purchasing the 15 consecutive day Eurail Global Pass, but during our 4 days in Switzerland I am confused what all is covered with the Global Eurail Pass. The only area I plan to visit in Switzerland is the Jungfrau region (hopping on trains/cable cars around the region and possibly back up to Interlaken).

Question: would the Global Eurail Pass only cover us from Italy to Interlaken? Just need to know if I need to purchase a seperate 4-day Swiss Travel Pass on top of the Eurail Pass or if the Eurail Pass will get us on the more local transportation to the Jungfrau region?

Thank you!!

Lisa

Lucas
Lucas
5491 posts
expert &
Apr 30, 2017 - 8:27 AM in reply to LisaMarieOT

Hi Lisa,

You can see what routes are covered on the Eurail Global Pass here (with map). It offers just discounted trip on most routes in the Jungfrau region. You don't need to, but may indeed be better off buying a Jungfrau Travel Pass for that area. See details on what is covered by the Jungfrau Travel Pass here.

Lucas

LisaMarieOT
LisaMarieOT
2 posts
Apr 30, 2017 - 4:46 PM in reply to Lucas

Thanks!

Last question. If we purchase the Jungfrau Travel Pass, and we already have the Eurail Global Pass how do we get a discount when ordering?

Do we have to purchase at the station or can I do it online and still get the discount?

Lisa

Arno
Arno
10304 posts
expert &
Apr 30, 2017 - 7:53 PM

Hi Lisa,

There is only a discount if you have a Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card (see myswissalps.com/jungfr autravelpass/price please).

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018