Comet Neowise seen in from Top of Europe 19/7/20

• Hudspith
    Participant
    71 posts
    20 July 2020 at 14:29:54 #825620

Whilst browsing the Jungfraujoch webcams yesterday evening I noticed that the comet NEOWISE was visible in the night sky. I am sorry about the photo quality but they were taken off my laptop screen using my mobile phone. Keep your eyes peeled for the next few nights as it will still be visible in the skies on clear nights and hopefully we might get some clearer photos. Good luck everyone I hope you get to see it as it isn’t coming back for 7000 years.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    20 July 2020 at 15:14:16 #933917

Hi Hudspith,

Thanks for sharing that! It’s smart to keep an eye on the Jungfraujoch webcam. I went to the webcam archive and retrieved a screenshot from 19 July at 11:10 PM. Still tiny, but clear enough to recognize it. See attached.

Chez60
    Participant
    16 posts
    21 July 2020 at 7:50:30 #933918

Wow, thanks for these shots. Got to say I look at the webcam a lot during day time but never checked this out of an evening. I will now do that more often before switching off at night.

Hudspith
    Participant
    71 posts
    21 July 2020 at 7:54:49 #933919

Chez60 – if you are trying to spot the comet it will be visible for another couple of weeks but at its closest to earth on 22/23 July – I am on UK time and it appears if skies are clear about 10pm onwards. Hope that helps.

Chez60
    Participant
    16 posts
    21 July 2020 at 9:37:29 #933920

Thanks for that – I’m also UK time so will try to remember to have a look.

Hudspith
    Participant
    71 posts
    21 July 2020 at 10:08:42 #933921

For anyone interested trying to see the comet NEOWISE not just on Jungfraujoch webcam but from your own home if you have a mobile phone I suggest you use a free star viewing app and find the star called Capella and the comet is found to the left and up of that (I use one called Sky View – its free). Another good way to find it without a phone is to find the Plough (sometimes called the Big Dipper) – as few clouds as possible to the North, look North for a bright star, look diagonal left and down for a less bright star, look in the same direction about the same distance and you should see the Comet. Bear in mind that photos you see are long exposures which show the tail but to the naked eye it looks like a small light moving slowly across the sky. Good luck skygazing everyone.

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 July 2020 at 10:42:33 #933922

Thanks for sharing those impressive screenshots Hudspith, and for your tips to see the comet!

• The thread ‘Comet Neowise seen in from Top of Europe 19/7/20’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.