Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Comet Neowise seen in from Top of Europe 19/7/20

Comet Neowise seen in from Top of Europe 19/7/20

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Hudspith
Hudspith
51 posts
Jul 20, 2020 - 2:29 PM

Whilst browsing the Jungfraujoch webcams yesterday evening I noticed that the comet NEOWISE was visible in the night sky. I am sorry about the photo quality but they were taken off my laptop screen using my mobile phone. Keep your eyes peeled for the next few nights as it will still be visible in the skies on clear nights and hopefully we might get some clearer photos. Good luck everyone I hope you get to see it as it isn't coming back for 7000 years.

Last modified on Jul 20, 2020 - 2:47 PM by Hudspith
Please login to see the attached documents
Arno
Arno
14345 posts
expert &
Jul 20, 2020 - 3:14 PM

Hi Hudspith,

Thanks for sharing that! It's smart to keep an eye on the Jungfraujoch webcam. I went to the webcam archive and retrieved a screenshot from 19 July at 11:10 PM. Still tiny, but clear enough to recognize it. See attached.

Last modified on Jul 20, 2020 - 3:16 PM by Arno
Please login to see the attached documents
Chez60
Chez60
15 posts
Jul 21, 2020 - 7:50 AM

Wow, thanks for these shots. Got to say I look at the webcam a lot during day time but never checked this out of an evening. I will now do that more often before switching off at night.

Hudspith
Hudspith
51 posts
Jul 21, 2020 - 7:54 AM

Chez60 - if you are trying to spot the comet it will be visible for another couple of weeks but at its closest to earth on 22/23 July - I am on UK time and it appears if skies are clear about 10pm onwards. Hope that helps.

Last modified on Jul 21, 2020 - 7:58 AM by Hudspith
Chez60
Chez60
15 posts
Jul 21, 2020 - 9:37 AM

Thanks for that - I'm also UK time so will try to remember to have a look.

Hudspith
Hudspith
51 posts
Jul 21, 2020 - 10:08 AM

For anyone interested trying to see the comet NEOWISE not just on Jungfraujoch webcam but from your own home if you have a mobile phone I suggest you use a free star viewing app and find the star called Capella and the comet is found to the left and up of that (I use one called Sky View - its free). Another good way to find it without a phone is to find the Plough (sometimes called the Big Dipper) - as few clouds as possible to the North, look North for a bright star, look diagonal left and down for a less bright star, look in the same direction about the same distance and you should see the Comet. Bear in mind that photos you see are long exposures which show the tail but to the naked eye it looks like a small light moving slowly across the sky. Good luck skygazing everyone.

Annika
Annika
6318 posts
expert &
Jul 21, 2020 - 10:42 AM in reply to Hudspith

Thanks for sharing those impressive screenshots Hudspith, and for your tips to see the comet!

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020