We are two female travelers from Australia. This is our first time visiting Switzerland. We are reasonably fit and medium level hikers.
We are very excited about our trip and have done some research for several months now. Thanks myswissalps for vast amount of information, knowledge and experience. We found it is very helpful for us in initial planning and finalizing our itinerary. It also assisted us with calculating and choosing the rail pass. We are so grateful for all the resources available for us. Below is our itinerary.
Would you please comment if the plan looks reasonable and further suggestions are welcome! Thank you.
Itinerary (Sept 12 – Oct 5) - 24 days (23 nights)
Main activities: Hiking and Sightseeing
Sept 12 – Arrive in Zurich at 13:15 local time; Take train to Lucerne
Sept 12,13,14 – Base in Lucerne (3 nights); Sightseeing; Pilatus Golden Round Trip (half day); Mount Rigi Mark Twain Trail (10km, 5 hours)
Sept 15,16,17,18 – Base in Wengen (4 nights)
Sept 15 - Lucerne – Interlaken - Wengen (2.5 hours)
Sept 16 - Hiking - Schilthorn & Mürren (6 hours)
Sept 17 - Hiking around Wengen (3-7 hours, could use train to turn this into one-way walk)
Wengen - Allmend - Wengernalp - Kleine Scheidegg - Haaregg - Mettlenalp - Allmend – Wengen (please comment if scenery of this route is good)
Sept 18 - Hiking - Mannlichen & the Eiger (5.5 hours)
Sept 19 - Hiking - Schynige Platte to Faulhorn; Stay in Berghotel Faulhorn (5 hours?)
Sept 20 - Hiking - Gassenboden -> Bachsee -> First (duration of hiking?); Stay in Meiringen
Sept 20,21,22 – Base in Meiringen (3 nights)
Sept 21 - Trift Glacier Suspension Bridge (5 hours?)
Sept 22 - PostBus through four passes of the Central Alps (On bus, a full-day round trip of 208 km, leaving 9:25am and return at 18:10)
We would like to explore and hike to the gorge/water falls/Haslie valley. Can you suggest if it is possible to fit them in our itinerary?
Sept 23,24 – Base in Brienz; Rest, Lake Brienz and Lake Thun boat trip, Brienzer Rothorn
Sept 25 – Arrive in Brig (by Train to Spiez-Kandersteg-Goppenstein-Brig); Sightseeing Interlaken and Brig
Sept 26 - Aletsch Glacier; Stay in Brig
Sept 27,28,29 - Zermatt & Gornergrat (3 nights)
Sept 27 - Rothorn Flower Trail (short) ending at the Sunnegga Paradise (4.6km, 1.5 hours)
Sept 28 - Sightseeing around town centre; rest ready for next bigger day
Sept 29 - Gornergrat & Riffelalp & Short walk to Riffelsee (6.3km, 3 hours)
Sept 30 - Oct 1,2 - Stay in Lausanne for 3 nights (Not sure if 3 nights based in Lausanne is too many; We will explore small villages and Lake Geneva, Montreux. Any other suggestions?)
Oct 3,4 - Zurich - Day trip to Stein am Rhein and the Rhein falls
Oct 5 – Check out and fly back to Melbourne
1. Our hiking days are concentrated on Sept 16,17,18,19,20,21. Each day has different distance and duration. We are conscious about the intensity. Do you think it is OK or we should have one day rest in between, say a day rest before Schynige Platte to Faulhorn hike on Sept 19?
2. How is the scenery based on our hiking routes? We want to enjoy both hiking and sightseeing.
3. Based on our calculation, Half Fare Card is the best option for the above itinerary.
4. We understand that we need to be flexible due to weather conditions. If not suitable for hiking, we are happy to take long distance scenic trains or go to villages for sightseeing. Please provide some recommendations.
5. If weather conditions are not suitable for hiking on certain day(s), what hiking routes would you suggest must-do so we can give them priority?