Common scams in Switzerland and snow-wear in Nov

• Felix_suroso
    Participant
    26 posts
    24 July 2022 at 7:37:52 #827872

Hi,

I’ve previously posted a thread and you guys have been super helpful, and now I have 2 more questions that I figured I should ask to prepare better.

1. I have heard bad tourist experience when my distant relatives went to Europe (France, Germany, not Switzerland though) in regards to tourist scam. May I know how safe is Switzerland (in regards to tourist scam) compared to other countries? If there are scams, can you share a few tips or a few scam scenarios that we should be aware of? Note that we are a group of 6 (3 families) and there are quite elder people so I would brief them beforehand

Some scam example stories include:

– intentionally spilled drinks to your shirt, you’re distracted and their colleague will rob you

– persistently give you small gifts and when you’re distracted, they scam you and ask you a lot of money saying you buy from them

– drop stuff to the floor and when you are being a nice person and pick it up, they scam you and say you must buy and give money to them

2. I’ve checked and I know when we go in November, some areas will already be snowing or at least have small amount of snow. In terms of shoes, is it okay and normal to wear normal sport shoes (like running shoes or normal sport shoes)? Do you need to wear anti-slip shoe grip (it’s something that is like a sole, worn on shoes and on the bottom, there are small spikes).

Thank you!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    24 July 2022 at 22:57:51 #944753

Hi.

Overall, Switzerland is the safest country I’ve ever visited. In over 40 years travelling to Switzerland the only problem I ever encountered was on a train going to Martigny. An older man (60s?) started a conversation with 2 pretty young American girls and coaxed them away from their seats and got them to sit facing away from their luggage. I was more or less facing them and just happened to turn around and caught a younger bloke trying to open the girls rucksack unobserved. He saw me looking and left the compartment. They were clearly working together, but the older one pretended to be shocked. This has been the only time I have seen or heard anything dodgy.

As far as shoes go, running shoes probably won’t be warm enough in November. They’re designed to keep your feet cool, not warm, so a pair of leather walking shoes with warm socks would be preferable. I’ve seen anti-slip soles advertised online, but I’ve never seen them being used. I think they may be more hassle than they’re worth for the few times they would have been useful. A walking stock would probably be more useful, just don’t use them inside if they have metal tips.

Have fun!

Alan

EASW
    Participant
    122 posts
    25 July 2022 at 0:37:09 #944754

An interesting question (#1). Having been to France, Germany and Switzerland, the only place where such scams were observed to take place was in Paris and even then easy to avoid by just being aware and vigilant. We absolutely saw no such activity in Switzerland; not that we let our guard down and always made sure that our luggage was within eyeshot. But no apparent organized scams. We felt quite safe.

Anna
    6382 posts
    25 July 2022 at 2:15:15 #944755

Hi Felix suroso,

In my opinion, Switzerland is quite safe. No such scams as far I know. Regardless, it’s important to stay alert and vigilant at all times especially if you are travelling in the bigger cities or when crossing borders. Particularly for a tourist, the risk is greater I think.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Felix_suroso
    Participant
    26 posts
    25 July 2022 at 4:44:45 #944756

Thank you very much for the reply everyone. Much appreciated!

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 July 2022 at 8:33:03 #944757

Hi Felix suroso! I agree that Switzerland is safe for travelers. This doesn’t mean that scams never occur, but they’re not common.

As for November: it’s kind of an in-between season, and which gear you need depends on the activities you’re interested in. I second Alan’s tip to use warmer shoes for outdoor trips. You’ll find explanation about general weather patterns and packing tips below:

• The thread ‘Common scams in Switzerland and snow-wear in Nov’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.