Commute between Jungfrau region and Graubünden

• Lijianhughes
    Participant
    44 posts
    14 June 2022 at 7:56:44 #827496

Yay!!! We’re finally making our way back to the Swiss Alps, after almost 3 years!

This would be our 3rd trip to Swizterland and we’d really love to explore the Graubunden region which we’ve not been to before.

This would also be our 1st Swizterland trip with our 2 YO daughter, so I’m a little frightened when I saw on the SBB website that a train ride from Interlaken to Davos takes easily 5 hours as it loops a big round to Bern then Zurich and then towards the east. There doesn’t seem to have any train ride going via Interlaken – Andermatt – Chur direction.

Another option will be driving, on the map it says less than 4 hours, but I’m not sure how drivable the route will be like. I do hear the Swiss road are among the nicest to drive though but it sure still feels like plenty of homework to do for a pure city driver.

My question would be what’s the best commute option from Jungfrau to either Davos or St.Moritz? If driving is the better option, is there any recommendation on the routes/car rental arrangement?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6362 posts
    14 June 2022 at 8:31:38 #943219

Hi Lijianhughes,

Welcome back 🙂

It is possible to take the train from Interlaken to Andermatt, then Andermatt to Chur/Davos but this will actually take longer (about 6 hours in total) than if you were to travel to Chur/Davos via Zurich. Driving might take less time but I think it would be more stressful than travelling with the train as you would have to deal with traffic and driving on unfamiliar routes. In any case, be sure to read this before you decide: car versus train travel.

If you want to avoid spending continuously long hours on the train, my personal suggestion would be to break the journey and incorporate interesting pits stops along the way. For instance, for the trip from Interlaken to Davos via Zurich, depending on your connection you could get down in Bern or Zurich and spend some time exploring old towns or do a little sightseeing or shopping to stretch your legs.

Let us know if you need more input.

regards,

Anna

Lijianhughes
    Participant
    44 posts
    15 June 2022 at 4:58:52 #943220

Hi Anna,

Thanks for the input!

I think we’ll either just take the long hours train or drive. Having pit stops will drag the commute even longer and we probably won’t enjoy handling luggages along with the 2YO just for a short stop over.

Do you have any suggestion on car rental options, or routes to take between the Jungfau region and Graubuden?

Thanks!

Lijianhughes

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2022 at 7:30:16 #943221

Hi Lijianhughes,

you’ll find some practical tips on how to rent a car and also recommended car rentals at http://www.myswissalps.com/car/carrental.

If you are afraid of the travelling time between Interlaken and Davos then better to take the highway as much as you can, that will be the fastest route. You can stop in Lucerne or somewhere at the Walensee for quick and nice stops.

Learn more about driving in Switzerland: http://www.myswissalps.com/car

Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2022 at 1:33:10 #943222

You say you have been to Switzerland before – did that include the Interlaken / Jungfrau region?

If it did I would dare to suggest that you could give it a miss this time and just go to Graubünden.

You can spend weeks in Graubünden as there is so much to see, so there would be no need to travel from Interlaken to Graubünden.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2022 at 1:37:53 #943223

“I saw on the SBB website that a train ride from Interlaken to Davos takes easily 5 hours as it loops a big round to Bern then Zurich and then towards the east. There doesn’t seem to have any train ride going via Interlaken – Andermatt – Chur direction”

The simple reason for the conundrum you describe is that the ‘big loop’ via the mains Swiss cities is actually the fastest way for a train as it is on the mainly level terrain of the Swiss ‘MIttelland’ (the plateau area between the Alps and Jura mountains containing the ‘busy’ part of Switzerland). The mountain route is not fast because it is in mountain terrain and the railways are slow, narrow gauge trains required for running through the high Alps.

However, Interlaken – Davos is not over 5 hours – the fastest connection take 4 hours 27 minutes – which is not bad on comfortable Swiss main line trains.

Route is Interlaken – Spiez – Bern – Zurich – Landquart – Davos.

However you should start a visit to Graubünden by staying in Chur, Switzerland’s oldest city, and that is only 3 hours 21 mins from Interlaken with two changes of train. I was in Chur a few days ago – beautiful weather and surrounded by mountains

Lijianhughes
    Participant
    44 posts
    22 June 2022 at 3:06:04 #943224

Thanks for the suggestions 1960 Man,

Yea we’ve been to Jungfrau area a couple of times and we absolutely loved it as our 1st stop right after landing at Zurich airport given its relatively short enough commute time. This time travelling 1st time with a young baby we thought it’s a good idea to start from somewhere we’re really familiar with, just to minimize the hustle of settling in the baby.

Do you recommend Chur as a base to explore Graubuden? It might just be a great idea given only 3.5 hours away from Jungfrau.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2022 at 7:50:11 #943225

Hi Lijianhughes,

Yes, Chur is a good base to explore Graubünden.

You can find accommodation here: https://www.hotelscombined.com/Place/Chur.htm.

Ildiko

• The thread ‘Commute between Jungfrau region and Graubünden’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.