Companion ticket - available with Swiss Half Fare?

Companion ticket - available with Swiss Half Fare?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Minnie
Minnie
32 posts
May 4, 2017 - 7:52 AM

Hi. My SBB app gives me the option to buy a companion ticket. But the information provided refers only to the Half Fare Travelcard, not the Swiss Half Fare Card for tourists. Do you know if we tourists are able to buy a companion ticket? Thanks

Annika
Annika
4992 posts
expert &
May 4, 2017 - 10:17 AM

Hi Minnie!

I'm not sure. The SBB website states that not only a residents' Half-Fare Travelcard is required, but also an additional 1-day travelpass or another supplement. The 1-day travelpass is also available to holders of the tourist Swiss Half Fare Card, so this may be a reason to assume that the companion ticket can also be bought by tourists. I haven't heard of this before though and if I were you I'd contact the SBB to make sure.

Minnie
Minnie
32 posts
May 4, 2017 - 11:56 PM in reply to Annika

Thanks Annika. I've sent my query to SBB and if I get an answer I will post it here. Cheers, Minnie.

Minnie
Minnie
32 posts
May 5, 2017 - 10:18 PM

Greetings everyone! I have received a reply from SBB to my query re the companion ticket, quoted below, which shows that Annika's interpretation was correct:

You need at least a Swiss Half Fare Card and a 1-day travel pass, then your companion can travel for CHF 38.00 with you.

More informations see: www.sbb.ch/en/travelca rds-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/1-day-travelpass/companion-ticket.html

Last modified on May 5, 2017 - 10:19 PM by Minnie
Annika
Annika
4992 posts
expert &
May 6, 2017 - 9:21 AM

Hi Minnie,

Thanks so much for getting back to us! Good to know the rules on this. So the tourist Swiss Half Fare Card plus the 1-day travelpass will do as well. In that case it can be a good deal for sure. If more days of intensive traveling are involved, a Swiss Travel Pass usually is the better choice.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018