Swiss Travel Pass vs Bernese Oberland Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 2:46:22 #814761

My husband & I will be in Switzerland in September for 8 nights. We are flying in & out of Zurich. We will spend 3 nights in Lucerne (2 full days). While in Lucerne we will visit Pilatus & Titlus . We then do the train to Brienz & stay overnight & we will get the Brienze Rothom steam train. The next day we will get the boat to Interlaken. We will not stay in Interlaken but will catch the train to Wilerswill & go to Schynige Platte then continue on to Wengen & stay for 3 nights. Whilst in Wengen we will visit Schilthorn & Jungfraujoch. We will catch the train from Wengen to Interlaken then on to Zurich where we will spend one night before flying our in the morning. I have studied the Train passes on Myswissalps. An 8 day Swiss Travel Pass will cover all of the above except our last day in Zurich (just not train/bus from hotel to airport because this will be out 9th day) & cost CHF 485. The Bernese Oberland Pass will cover nearly all of the above. It doesn’t include city travel in Lucerne (not sure we’d need it it) it is not clear if it covers the trip from Lucerne to Pilatus (can you confirm?) we would need to add on return trips from Zurich to Lucerne CHF 31 approx each way. Bernese Oberland Pass CHF 349 + 61 (return Zurich to Lucerne point to point ticket) = CHF410.

Are we better to pay more for the Swiss Pass CHF485 or just get the Bernese Oberland + point to point CHF410 ? Can anyone confirm that the Bernese Oberland Pass includes Pilatus? The difference is a total of CHF150 so the Bernese Oberland seems better value but I’m not sure….

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 March 2018 at 4:37:50 #878764

Pilatus is not covered by BOP and 50% discount with STP.

Titlis is 50% discount from Lucerne with BOP. With STP free to Engelberg and 50% from there.

Schilthorn is 50% discount with BOP. Free with STP.

Wengen to Mannlichen and Mannlichen to Grindelwald cable cars free with BOP, 50% with STP.

Jungfraujoch very marginally better with BOP.

Very much swings and roundabouts.

Have you looked at a Tell Pass (Pilatus and TItlis free) plus a BOP?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 5:04:42 #878765

3 day Tell pass CHF211 + BOP 4day CHF249 + point to point zurich/lucerne rtn CHF 62 = CHF522

Maybe this would be the best:

3 day Tell Pass CHF211 + Swiss Travel Pass (4 day) CHF269 = CHF 480. I would still need to pay to get from Zurich to Lucerne on the first day (CHF32) this would be total CHF 512.

Would this be any better than just getting a 8 day Swiss Pass at CHF485??

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 March 2018 at 5:13:42 #878766

You probably only need a 2 day Tell Pass but if it was me I’d just buy the 8-day STP and avoid the ulcers. 🤓

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 5:19:01 #878767

Ha ha, good advice. Thanks so much for your help.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass vs Bernese Oberland Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.