Confused about buying 8 day Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2016 at 13:14:54 #809952

Hi all

I tried to use the spreadsheet provided on myswissalps to calculate individual costs and compare with 8 day Swiss Travel pass of 363 chf. However, i have not been successful to reaching to any sort of a conclusion; therefore need help.

We are arriving in Zurich on Sept 7 by air and leaving out of Geneva by air on Sept 13. – 7 days inclusive

Day 1 – Zurich Airport to Luzern by train

Day 2 – Sightseeing in Luzern – using boats, train to Mt Rigi or

Day 3 – Lucern – Engleberg – Titlis and return back to Lucern

Day 4. Lucern – Interlaken

Day 5 – Interlaken west station to Jungfraujoch and back to Interlaken West Station

Day 6 – Interlaken to Montruex using Golden Pass Panaromic line

Day 7 – Sightseeing in Montreux and then take a train to Geneva Airport.

Still trying to determine the cost to Jungfraujoch with 8 day Swiss travel pass in chf and the cost to Mt Titlis with the same

We are 2 adults with a 3 year old child.

Will certainly appreciate your input.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 August 2016 at 14:56:18 #855396

Hi priswissalps,

Welcome to our website! For Swiss Travel Pass holders, these are the fare you’re looking for:

• Interlaken West – Jungfraujoch: CHF 132.75
    • Engelberg – Titlis return: CHF 44.50

Feel free to attach your spreadsheet here so I can have a look at it. I won’t be able to do a full check, but perhaps I’ll spot an error and be able to help you out. I’d recommend to compare the Swiss Travel Pass and the Swiss Half Fare Card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2016 at 7:45:33 #855397

Hi Priswissalps,

If you are going to use the train or cable cars etc up the mountains for all the seven days, then the travel pass definitely makes sense. I had used the excel sheet to find out the costs, and it helped. I think, though, the Golden Pass tickets will cost you extra and are not covered by the pass (which discounts or makes many rides free – check the map on this website) .

doc.myswissalps.com/do cs/default-source/rail-network-maps/swisstravelsystem .pdf?sfvrsn=30

I will be travelling in September (mid) for eight days, and the pass made perfect sense…

Arno
    15483 posts
    29 August 2016 at 9:33:09 #855398

Hi esskay8,

The Golden Pass trains are free as well: please see myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ validity (scroll down) or the map you mentioned.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2016 at 10:21:07 #855399

Oh yes…it is free…I genuinely thought it need extra charges…

Just an add-on query, I see suggestions on the Internet of travelling from Zermatt to Visp/Spiez to catch the Golden Pass line of trains…If left to my machinations, I was thinking of leaving Tasch at 9 am in the morning for Zweisimmen and getting on to a Golden Pass train, does that make any sense? Is the plan to travel from Zermatt to Montreaux as a day trip viable, and through which stations?

We would travel till Montreaux, spend a whole day there and then head for Geneva in the evening for the night, before leaving Switzerland the next afternoon.

Geneva being a large city, am not sure if it would be equally enjoyable as the Golden Pass leg till Montreaux or Montreaux itself…

Arno
    15483 posts
    29 August 2016 at 12:00:17 #855400

Hi esskay8,

Sure, you can travel to Spiez (via Brig – Kandersteg for more scenery, or direct). Then take a train to Zweisimmen and finally to Montreux (note the spelling). Please post further questions in a new thread as this is no longer about the original topic. Thanks!

• The thread ‘Confused about buying 8 day Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.