About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum 3 days in Lauterbrunnen - railpass, Schilthorn
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

3 days in Lauterbrunnen - railpass, Schilthorn

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Dan K
Dan K
8 posts
Jan 23, 2023 - 8:32 PM

I’ve done research and I’m still confused.

We will be in Lauterbrunnen for three days in June.

We want to go to Schilthorn (with the JB brunch @ Piz Gloria), The Jungfraujoch, and a day trip to Luzern

I think the Swiss half-off pass is the way to go since no pass covers both Jungfrau and Schilthorn on the same pass. We can also use the half-off on rail from Zurich, to Bern, to Lauterbrunnen when we arrive in Zurich.

How far in advance can I buy my half-off pass?

Schilthorn has a discount when you buy passage and the brunch together, but they require a date. What if the weather is bad? Same question on the Jungfrau. How can I book in advance if the weather is unknown?

Do I just wait until I’m in Lauterbrunnen?

I’m concerned because I think 2023 will be a very busy travel year and there will be a lot of competition for things. So I want to book the Piz 120 days out, as they allow.

Any clarity will be greatly appreciated

Dan K, USA

1960man
1960man
4716 posts
expert
Jan 23, 2023 - 11:36 PM in reply to Dan K

Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn are both on the Berner Oberland Pass (RPBO), which give a lot of free travel in a wide area (and some free lines that stretch a long way out of the real Berner Oberland)

RPBO and point to point tickets may be cheaper in the long run, especially as - if you book a long way ahead - you can use a Saver Day Pass for longer journeys

In terms of weather, you can either wait for the right day and book in the morning or just turn up. Companies like Schilthorn will offer a discount because they offer you a cheaper option with risk (just the same as a the modern trend for cheap non refundable air fare or hotel room rates)

Anna
Anna
4155 posts
expert &
Jan 24, 2023 - 11:15 AM in reply to Dan K

Hi Dan K,

For a 3-day trip with limited sightseeing, the Swiss Half Fare Card is a good option. If you're planning to explore the region further, you might want to consider getting the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland, as suggested by 1960man. The Regional Pass provides free travelling to most destinations in the Jungfrau region and discounted travel to Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn. You can also use the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland to travel to Bern and Lucerne (but it doesn't cover local transport). You can view and download the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland validity map here: www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland/validity. This pass can be purchased in advance and online: www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland/price

Similarly, you can get the Swiss Half Fare Card online and ahead of your trip: www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/price

For table reservations on Schilthorn, you can book in advance on the website and cancel at least a day before. It's best to check the weather forecast before your trip.

More info about Schilthorn here: www.myswissalps.com/schilthorn

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Dan K
Dan K
8 posts
Jan 24, 2023 - 12:24 PM in reply to Anna

Anna,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I appreciate the helpful information.

Dan K

Dan K
Dan K
8 posts
Jan 24, 2023 - 12:25 PM in reply to 1960man

Cheers 1960man!

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Who's MySwissAlps.com?
We're passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about planning a trip to Switzerland since 2002.
More about usNewsletter signup

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2023