Confusion over travel passes

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2014 at 8:57:15 #806455

Hello,

My wife and I are visiting Switzerland for the first time, and we are slightly confused on how to make use of the public transport system and the travel passes that we should get during our stay. Would anyone please advise?

Day 1: from Zurich airport to hostel in Lauterbrunnen valley.

Day 2 & 3: planing to do Classical Faulhornweg Walk & Eiger trail. So will be using using some transports in Bernese Oberland to start point and from end point back to Lauterbrunnen valley

Day 4: from Lauterbrunnen valley to hotel in Fiesch. Is train convenient?

Day 5: planing to do Aletsch Panoramaweg from Fieschalp to Bettmeralp. How do we get back from Bettmeralp to Fiesch? Should we take train if available?

Day 6: from Fiesch to Zermatt and do Sunnegga to Riffelalp

Day 7: planning to do Hohenweg Hohbalmen

Day 8: from Zermatt to Zurich airport.

Best regards,

Confused man

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    22 June 2014 at 12:44:07 #840275

Hi confused man, let’s see if I can help you out,

A 4-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass fits your plans. You would use the free travel days on day 1, 4, 6 and 8. On the other days you will get 50% off the tickets (25% above Grindelwald and Wengen). More pass details, including a detailed map, are here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swissflexipass.

Day 4: yes, the train is the best way to do this. See the timetable for travel details. If you like a scenic (but longer) trip, do not take the fast train between Spiez and Brig, but the local one via Kandersteg.

Day 5: I would suggest this hike. Travel details can be found on the linked page too.

This guide on how to pick the best pass may be of help too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2014 at 14:08:03 #840276

Hello,

Thanks for for the help. May I know if I can purchase the flexi pass when I arrive at Zurich Airport or do I need to purchase in my home country before arriving? Also may I clarify that there is no need for me to purchase the Bernese Oberland pass?

Thank you once again.

Annika
    7104 posts
    7 July 2014 at 14:15:44 #840277

Hi Savester89,

You can purchase online or at Zurich airport; all options are listed on the Swiss Flexi Pass page I gave you in my previous post (click to the Price section). You’d better purchase online: it’s cheaper because there are good promotions, and you can pay in your own currency. You can see the current promotions in the Promotion section of the Swiss Flexi Pass page.

You don’t need another pass. The Swiss Flexi Pass can be used throughout Switzerland.

I hope this helped. Enjoy your stay!

• The thread ‘Confusion over travel passes’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.