Connection in Zweisimmen – enough time?

• chum444
    Participant
    19 posts
    30 May 2018 at 15:02:27 #816326

We are traveling from Interlaken to Montreaux , catching the panoramic train in Zweisimmen . We arrive on platform 7 & catch the panoramic on platform 8. Is 6 minutes between trains sufficient time to make the connection?

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 20:12:33 #886826

Hi Chum,

Yes that is fine. You just walk across the platform (about 10 feet).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 23:40:22 #886827

The trains are designed to connect in Zweisimmen, most passengers will make the transfer.

Within a few years there will be no need to change as new trains with variable track gauge are on order. They will be able to run Montreux – Interlaken throughout

chum444
    Participant
    19 posts
    30 May 2018 at 23:46:29 #886828

Thank you folks.

Sandra59
    Participant
    41 posts
    31 May 2018 at 3:22:31 #886829

Hi Team, I am doing the same trip on 30th June, so this post from Chum44 is well timed as I was working through this train journey in my head last night and was thinking the same thing about timing.

There are 4 of us and we have the Swiss Travel Pass. When we start this journey at (Grindelwald – Interlaken Ost etc) do we need to show our Travel Pass at the ticket office to get it converted into an actual ticket with a bar code or anything OR simply board the train? I will be leaving in 3 weeks and an getting excited after all this planning! Thanks for all the help you have been providing!

Regards,

Sandra, Perth Western Australia

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 4:54:44 #886830

Hi Sandra,

>> There are 4 of us and we have the Swiss Travel Pass. When we start this journey at (Grindelwald – Interlaken Ost etc) do we need to show our Travel Pass at the ticket office to get it converted into an actual ticket with a bar code or anything OR simply board the train?

Assuming what you have is an actual Swiss Travel Pass (and not just a voucher for getting one), and has the period of validity already printed on it, you don’t need to do anything before boarding a train – simply show it to the conductor when they come around checking tickets.

For cable cars (and some mountain trains), where entry to the boarding platform is through a turnstile, you usually have to go to the ticket office to show your Swiss Travel Pass, even if the trip is free with the pass. They will give you a credit-card-size ticket with a bar code that you insert into the reader at the turnstile, which then releases the barrier and allows you through to board.

Alpenrose

Sandra59
    Participant
    41 posts
    31 May 2018 at 5:04:29 #886831

Hi Alpenrose, Have just checked and we do have the correct pass (all paid for and received by email and I have printed on A4 paper etc) One of the things it says is that we need to be able to show our passport when requested. When out and about day to day we do not usually carry the original passport with us and usually have it in the hotel safe. Do you need to show the ‘original’ passport or could you show a photocopy of it, clearly showing your photo etc?

Thanks,

Sandra

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 5:22:05 #886832

Hi Sandra,

>> Do you need to show the ‘original’ passport or could you show a photocopy of it, clearly showing your photo etc?

You do need to show the original passport. Just carry it on your person at all times, not in a handbag or backpack (or unsecured pocket).

Conductors will not ask to see your passport on every trip. In 7 weeks of daily travel in 2016, I had to produce my passport only 3 or 4 times. However, if they do ask to see it, and you don’t have it, you are regarded as travelling without a valid ticket.

Alpenrose

Sandra59
    Participant
    41 posts
    31 May 2018 at 7:25:53 #886833

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 23:11:19 #886834

You absolutely need to show your passport with your ticket – for all passengers.

It is a common misconception among travellers that they can always leave their ID in a hotel safe.

In many countries, Switzerland included, you are required to carry identity papers on your person at all times.

Sandra59
    Participant
    41 posts
    2 June 2018 at 16:24:29 #886835

Thanks for all replies, we will make sure that we all carry our passports. Have just reserved 4 seats on the Zweisimmen to Montreux section of the train ride. The confirmation letter confirms 4 seats are reserved but does not list the seat numbers?

Regards,

Sandra

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 2:46:08 #886836

>> Have just reserved 4 seats on the Zweisimmen to Montreux section of the train ride. The confirmation letter confirms 4 seats are reserved but does not list the seat numbers?

On what site did you do your booking?

If it was the Golden Pass booking site, you would have received details of carriage and seat numbers, so I am assuming you booked on a different site.

My guess is that you just have a confirmation that your booking request has been received, and will receive the actual reservations later, once they have been made by the agency you booked with.

But without further details, it’s hard to say what the situation is. (I am assuming you have not overlooked an attached PDF with all the details!)

Alpenrose

Sandra59
    Participant
    41 posts
    3 June 2018 at 3:13:18 #886837

Hi Alpenrose,

This was the website http://www.goldenpass.ch/en

and the confirmation email came from info@goldenpass.ch

The confirmation/reservation letter is attached and is mostly written in German

(when I reserved the seats it was in the second class carriage and from memory, the 4 seats were 34-37) CHF 32 ( CHF 8 each)

Regards,

Sandra

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 3:31:02 #886838

Hi Sandra,

No worries, that is a reservation!

You have reserved second-class seats numbers 34 to 37 in carriage number 21 for the 12: 25 departure from Zweisimmen on Saturday 30 June 2018.

• Reservierungsbestätigung – booking confirmation number
    • Reisedatum – travel date
    • Zug-Nr. – train number
    • von, nach – from, to
    • Wagen-Nr. – carriage number
    • Sitzplätze 2. Klasse 34-37 – seats 2nd class 34-37
    • Abfahrt – departure
    • Ankunft – arrival
    • Anzahl – number/total (i.e. 4 seats, 2nd class panorama coach)

The moderators can now delete your attachment, so that your personal information does not remain on the forum.

Alpenrose

Sandra59
    Participant
    41 posts
    3 June 2018 at 3:58:34 #886839

Fantastic! You are so helpful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 4:50:09 #886840

You’re welcome!

Usually they would send you an English-language version if you are using the English language version of the booking site. In any case, glad to be able to confirm that you’re good to go!

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Connection in Zweisimmen – enough time?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.