Construction works along Montreux – Zweisimmen

• cc123
    Participant
    58 posts
    23 April 2019 at 19:27:49 #821173

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/gettingthere:

Note that the Golden Pass line is being renovated until 2022, particularly between Zweisimmen and Montreux. This will result in improved rolling stock, and direct trains from Interlaken to Montreux without a switch in Zweisimmen. The GoldenPass MOB Panoramic coaches with VIP seats are being renovated and will therefor not be available until 2020. Regular panoramic coaches will be available.

Hi, I have a few questions on the golden pass.

1) I’m planning to take the golden pass from Montreux to Interlaken during end July. Does that mean I do not need to make a reservation from Montreux – Zweisimmen due to the construction works?

2) Why is a reservation recommended for this part of the journey compared to not needing to reserve a seat for the other 2 sections of the golden pass?

3) Am I right to say that Interlaken – Montreux offers better views than the other way round? Why is this so?

4) “The GoldenPass MOB Panoramic coaches with VIP seats are being renovated and will therefore not be available until 2020” –> does that mean VIP seats (the front seats) are not available for booking till 2020?

5) Is there an option to choose between the classic train and modern panorama train for Montreux – Zweisimmen? How do I choose and which is the best + difference in pricing?

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2019 at 23:20:33 #910209

The blurb comes from the MOB railway company.

What is happening is that in a year or so new trains will be introduced that will change track gauge on-route. Until then:

The whole route is a ‘normal’ Swiss railway, but the three parts are operated by different companies and are different track gauges.

LuzernInterlaken(not the true Golden Pass but rather the Brünig Pass) – red and white metre gauge trains operated by ZB

Interlaken – Zweisimmen – main line type standard gauge train operated by BLS railway

Zweisimmen – Montreux– metre gauge train operated by the MOB railway (blue/black and cream livery) .

Of the three sections the MOB section has the shortest trains – hence the recommendation to reserve.

My full ‘FAQ’ on the so-called Golden Pass route:

The Golden Pass rail route:

Current tourist branding can be confusing

The true Goldenpass is just the MOB railway Zweisimmen – Montreux.

A few facts about the Montreux – Zweisimmen railway – ie the MOB (Montreux-Oberland – Bernois):

The Golden Pass is historically only Montreux – Zweisimmen, only more recent marketing branding takes the ‘Goldenpass route’ east of Zweisimmen to Interlaken and beyond to Luzern.

The Golden Pass is the touristic branding for the Montreux – Oberland Bernois (MOB) railway but after a few years of favouring ‘Goldenpass services’, the company decided it was losing its tradition and has reverted to putting the Chemin de Fer Montreux – Oberland Bernois name on publicity and train coaches.

MOB pioneered the Panoramic coach concept on Swiss trains, starting in 1976.

There are now several versions of panoramic coaches in service, but MOB keeps changing its mind how to dub each service.

It hardly matters anyway as most modern Swiss trains have large windows, even if not officially panoramic. The key element of a ‘panoramic’ coach is ‘toplight’ windows above your head but in practice very few of the major views from panoramic trains are directly above your head, so the view through the normal side part of windows is normally fine.

You will get roughly the same scenic experience form any train on the MOB and reservation is not obligatory

Here is the timetable PDF for the MOB:

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/120.pdf

It is very scenic, but the MOB route is far from being the most spectacular (although any dubbing of this nature is going to subjective and personal) in Switzerland.

I recommend using regional trains on the MOB (the real name for the Montreux – Zweisimmen railway). Again, this gives you the flexibility to get on a train at whichever time suits you.

cc123
    Participant
    58 posts
    24 April 2019 at 6:54:05 #910210

Hi 1960man,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. Which train route would you recommend over the Goldenpass?

When you mention to use “regional trains” for MOB, are you referring to Field Fr 120 when I search for Montreux on http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ en/welcome.html?

“The GoldenPass MOB Panoramic coaches with VIP seats are being renovated and will therefore not be available until 2020” —> sorry for asking an obvious question, but I can’t book the VIP seats right? What about the VIP seats on the MOB Belle Époque? Are they available?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 April 2019 at 7:05:35 #910211

There are no VIP seats in operation at present (theoretically but see http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/i-had-a-vip-front-seat-on-golden-pass-7-april-2019). The Belle Épóque do not have forward facing VIP seats.

• The thread ‘Construction works along Montreux – Zweisimmen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.