Cost comparison

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2012 at 7:43:51 #805959

Hi,

I am calculating whether the 4-day Swiss Flexi Pass (with the 2-for-1 promotion) or the Half Fare card is a better option for us. We have the following train trips planned:

Without Swiss FlexiHalf fare cardPass cost 0262110Zurich-Lucerne-Interlaken-Wengen66033Roundtrip Murren/Gimmelwald443322Roundtrip Kl.Scheidegg/Grindelwald6649.533Wengen-Zermatt45022.5Zermatt – Gornergrat402020Gornergrat – Zermatt402020Zermatt-Wengen45022.5Wengen-Gstaad-Montreux-Geneva airport43021.5Total389384.5304.5
    *the above assumes 2nd class travel

Can you check and let me know if I have done the calculations right? I am not sure if I had interpreted the overview maps of the passes correctly.

If this is correct, would you recommend that I buy the Half Fare Card in Switzerland? I had read that it is cheaper to get the card outside Switzerland, but the cost comparison table on your website seems to indicate it is cheaper to get the Half Fare Card after arrival in Switzerland.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
    Jamie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2012 at 8:51:35 #838548

Sorry, I am reposting the calculations due to the formatting error, making the calculations unreadable.

Without any passes
    Zurich-Lucerne-Interlaken-Wengen 66
    Roundtrip Murren/Gimmelwald 44
    Roundtrip Kl.Scheidegg/Grindelwald 66
    Wengen-Zermatt 45
    Zermatt – Gornergrat 40
    Gornergrat – Zermatt 40
    Zermatt-Wengen 45
    Wengen-Gstaad-Montreux-Geneva airport 43
    Total : 389

Swiss Flexi
    Pass cost 262
    Zurich-Lucerne-Interlaken-Wengen 0
    Roundtrip Murren/Gimmelwald 33
    Roundtrip Kl.Scheidegg/Grindelwald 49.5
    Wengen-Zermatt 0
    Zermatt – Gornergrat 20
    Gornergrat – Zermatt 20
    Zermatt-Wengen 0
    Wengen-Gstaad-Montreux-Geneva airport 0
    Total : 384.5

Half fare card
    Pass cost 110
    Zurich-Lucerne-Interlaken-Wengen 33
    Roundtrip Murren/Gimmelwald 22
    Roundtrip Kl.Scheidegg/Grindelwald 33
    Wengen-Zermatt 22.5
    Zermatt – Gornergrat 20
    Gornergrat – Zermatt 20
    Zermatt-Wengen 22.5
    Wengen-Gstaad-Montreux-Geneva airport 21.5
    Total : 304.5

Thanks!

Annika
    7116 posts
    5 March 2012 at 12:38:23 #838549

Hi jamie! Compliments on your calculations! That’s the best way to find out which rail pass is best.

As for your price list: as far as I can see, you listed prices per person. However, the 2 for 1 offer on the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass costs CHF 262 for 2 persons. So you should take 262/2 = CHF 131 per person for a fair comparison. In all, the 2 for 1 offer on the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass turns out to be cheaper. Just fill out your country of residence in the upper right corner of the Swiss Flexi Pass page for an overview of purchase options.

Does that help you out?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2012 at 20:09:52 #838550

Hi Annika,

Thanks for pointing out the error! Yes after correcting for that the flexi is cheaper. I have a question on the 4-day saver pass. Are the days counted on a 24-hr cycle? The reason I ask is because my stay in Switzerland starts from 9am on Tuesday and my last train ride is at 1pm Saturday.

So technically I am merely over 4 days by only a few hours. If the Swiss Saver pass validity goes by 24 hour basis, I can plan my use of the pass to start at 1pm on Tuesday. That way I can buy the Saver Pass which is cheaper.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Jamie

Annika
    7116 posts
    6 March 2012 at 5:51:53 #838551

Hi Jamie! Actually, I already checked the itinerary you listed in one of your previous posts, to see whether a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass would be an option too. It’s not though, as validity days are measured by dates and not by 24 hour periods. So if you start using a 4 day Swiss Pass on Tuesday, it will be valid up to and including Friday. That’s why the 4 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass would be better. Does that anser your question?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2012 at 8:44:11 #838552

Hi Annika,

You are such a great help! Thanks so so much by going the extra mile to check for me.

Can I bother you with just one more short question? I was thinking of taking one day out of our 3-day stay to see the glacier at Gornegrat. Do you think it will be worth the 4-hr journey or are we better off staying in BO?

Thank you so much again!

Best regards,

Jamie

Annika
    7116 posts
    7 March 2012 at 10:22:31 #838553

Hello jamie! I agree with Wandermann in your other topic: yes, that’s worth your time, especially as it allows you to see a the region south of the Alps, which is really different from the Bernese Oberland. If you take the regional Lötschberg Express, the trip to Brig will be very scenic as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2012 at 17:33:51 #838554

Thanks, Annika! That is really helpful information. Do we need to buy the train tickets in advance or can these be purchased on the day of travel?

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 March 2012 at 12:05:45 #838555

Hi jamie! The Swiss Flexi Pass itself can be bought online; you can check the overview of resellers on the page I mentioned before. Additional discounted tickets (such as those up from Wengen and your trip to the Gornergrat) can best be purchased at the railway station before boarding the train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2013 at 18:12:22 #838556

We are planning for a 9-day trip. In fact, it will be an eight day trip in train. We will leave Zurich on 7/22 and return back on 7/29.

We are planning to visit Lucerne, Wengen, Zermatt, Montreux and return back to Zurich. I understand Swiss Pass will give me 50% discount on Jungfrau and Interlaken areas. When I did the calculation for the basic route,

Here is my estaimate w/o pass

Zruich to Lucerne – 12

Lucerne to Wengen – 22.5

Wengen to Zermatt – 46.5

Zermatt to Montreux – 35

Montreux to Zurich -38

Total — 154 CHF. The Swiss pass is selling for 320 CHF per person including my daughter (who in in youth fare). I understand that I might save 50% in Interlaken area. Would that add up to 150 CHF in savings? What should I do ? Am I making any wrong assumptions here? Please advise. Thanks

Arno
    15483 posts
    6 May 2013 at 1:20:51 #838557

Hi luvlucerne, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It looks like you have listed the half fare prices. The actual prices without a pass are double those amounts. You will definitely save money with a pass. The Swiss Pass page allows you to download a map that shows exactly what’s free and how much discount you’ll get. This page explains how to calculate your best pass option.

Please open a new topic for further questions. This one is very old. See our forum rules for details. Thanks!

• The thread ‘Cost comparison’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.