Cost of seat reservations on Bernina express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2012 at 13:09:34 #805656

I live in the UK and am visiting Switzerland October 27th – November 1st. I have bought a 1st class Swiss Rail Pass. I plan on taking the Bernina express trip – from Chur to Tirano and back to Chur.I am looking to make a seat reservation. I have looked on swisspasses.com and their price is £20.50 per person (with 1st class swiss pass). The cost on the site http://www.rhb.ch is 18.00CHF each (1st class) Do you know why is there would be such a difference in price? I am unsure of which site to purchase the reservation from – the obvious choice seems to be the cheaper one – but am I actually comparing like for like?

Just to clarify my question. Because the prices seemed so different, I was wondering if the seat reservation sold by swisspasses.com was different from the seat reservation sold by the site http://www.rhb.ch? I am so confused by the different web sites. Am I correct in thinking that what I need to travel on the Bernina express is my Swiss Rail Pass and a seat reservation. (and it doesn’t matter where I get that seat reservation from?)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7115 posts
    12 October 2012 at 6:19:16 #837334

Hello Pinky! Prices can always differ per reseller, depending on (for example) exchange rates. You can just go for the cheapest option. We don’t work with swisspasses.com, so I can’t provide information on their reservations.

Anyway, you need your Swiss Pass and your additional seat reservation for the Bernina Express trip indeed, and it doesn’t matter where you got your reservations from – as long as they’re for the exact train and couch number you’re entering.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2012 at 8:28:55 #837335

Thanks for the clarification!

• The thread ‘Cost of seat reservations on Bernina express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.