Cost of trains not included in the Swiss Pass Flex

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2016 at 12:28:35 #808467

Hello I hope you can help?

We are travelling to Switzerland in August. We will be staying at the Manor Farm campsite in Interlaken. Before travelling we will be buying the 4 day Swiss TravelPass Flex (STPF) at a cost of approx £200 per person. We understand that the STPF ticket allows us some discount on the private cable cars / trains.

I am trying to find out information about the additional charges for travel to places such as the Jungfraujoch and the Schynige Platte. Despite using the excellent Swiss travel website, I am finding it hard to confirm prices for the additional fees and also information about where to buy tickets for the extra part of the journey not covered by the STPF. Can you help me?

I have two particular trips in mind.

(1) A day trip from Interlaken Ost to the Jungfraujoch via Grindelwild (out) and via Lauterbrunnen (return). I know that the STPF covers the cost of the journey up to and return from Klein Scheidegg. From that point, Iknow that I need to pay for the return journey to the final section for the Jungfraujoch.

• Where do I buy the return ticket for the section between KleinScheidegg and the Jungfraujoch?
    • How much does this extra pay section cost?

(2)A day trip from Interlaken Ost to the Schynige Platte via WilderswilI know that the STPF will cover the cost of the short journey to Wilderswil. From that point, I know that I need to pay for the final section.

• Where do I buy the return ticket for the section between Wilderswiland the Schynige Platte?
    • How much does this extra pay section cost?

Thank you in advance for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    23 February 2016 at 6:29:14 #848629

Hi AndyLynnSwis, welcome to our website!

What’s included in the Swiss Travel Pass Flex can be found here. Schynige Platte is free; no tickets required. Jungfraufraujoch is not free to Kleine Scheidegg but to Wengen/Grindelwald. The additional ticket costs CHF 132.75 p.p. Tickets can be purchased at any staffed rail station, e.g. Interlaken West. Please see here for instructions on how to pick the best pass and price it all out.

The pass can be purchased from the websites listed here.

I hope this was useful!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2016 at 16:28:04 #848630

Arno…………………Thank you very much for the information. It has enabled us to plan our 7 days at the campsite in Interlaken. From the information you have given it seems that the following itinerary will work. The days given are only illustrative as we will use the Flex pass to match the train travel with the weather forecast. Could you check that we have correctly understood the information from the website? Thanks.

We will purchase our 4 day Swiss Travel Pass Flex before we travel to Switzerland (CHF 286 per person). Tickets will be sent to us in the UK as we will pay the postage supplement.

Monday 22nd August – Visiting the Jungfraujoch: Use our Flex Pass (for the journey from Interlaken to Wengen / Grindelwald). Purchase the Jungfraujoch return supplement ticket (CHF132.75 per person) from any staffed station, showing the ticket person our Flex Pass to ensure we get the 25% reduction.

Wednesday 24th August – Visiting the Schynige Platte: No need to buy any extra tickets as the Flex Pass covers the entire route from Interlaken / Wilderswil / Schynige Platte and back.

Thursday 25th August – Visiting the Schilthorn: Our Flex Pass covers the Journey from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen (train) and then the cable car up to Grutschalp and then the train to Murren (and back). At Murren, we need to purchase return tickets to take the cable car up to Schilthorn (CHF 40 per pesron) which is a 50% reduction on the normal cable car fee, as we have the Flex Pass.

Saturday 27th August – Visiting Thun and Spiez using any combination of local buses / trains and boats from Interlaken. No extra tickets to be purchased as our Flex Pass covers all of these.

Can you confirm that all of this is accurate? I hope we have chosen the most appropriate Swiss Pass for the 4 days of train / boat and bus travel. We are happy to pay the extra for the flex pass to allow us to pick the best weather days within the week we are in Switzerland.

Thanks you again for your help. Andy & Lynn

Arno
    15483 posts
    23 February 2016 at 16:51:38 #848631

Hi Andy & Lynn,

You’re most welcome! I don’t see anything wrong in your trip overview. Be sure to check the purchase options I linked to in my previous post. There is no postage supplement if you order through http://www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk or http://www.acprail.com/rail-passes/swiss-pass. You can pay with GBP.

• The thread ‘Cost of trains not included in the Swiss Pass Flex’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.