Costs of Zurich-Wilderswil-Jungfraujoch-Milan

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2018 at 11:21:49 #817045

Hello,

I was trying to find out the costings of rail travel from Zurich Airport in early September to Wilderswil and then 2 days later from Wilderswil to Milan Italy. I think that perhaps a Swiss Half Fare pass might be the right ticket to purchase but I am not sure. I would like to see Jungfraujoch too.

Also I do not know if purchasing the ticket at Zurich airport can also cover that part of the train trip from the Swiss border to Milan.

I am very confused and I have not seen a similar question in the forum.

Are you able to assist please.

Regards,

Gina

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2018 at 18:54:30 #890049

Hi Gina and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can find schedules and fares for train trips in Switzerland on the timetable here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable. The 1st fare you see is the Swiss Half Fare Card price (double it for the regular fare).

The best way to compare rail passes is to use our spreadsheet here if you haven’t yet: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass

If you buy a ticket at Zurich airport, to Milan, then that ticket would cover your whole trip. Is that what you mean?

You can then buy the Swiss Half Fare Card online. It can be emailed to you and printed at home (saving you time at the airport and giving you a copy to print out again in case you lose your pass). https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisshalffarecar d/price

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2018 at 1:20:02 #890050

Thank you very much. I was concerned as I am travelling alone and not of tender age. I thought I would have to get off train at the border and then buy ticket for the Italian sector.

I am also concerned about purchasing something on line as I am in Australia and there are some dubious sites, fearing when I get to Zurich, the ticket will not be accepted.

Does it cost less to purchase on line?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2018 at 5:55:55 #890051

International tickets are cheaper online (or at least the further ahead you buy them the cheaper they are) So from Australia that means online. 🙂

Tickets for trips within Switzerland won’t change prices so if you’d prefer to buy in country that will be fine.

Have a look at prices from Switzerland to Italy here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/traintickets/ita ly

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2018 at 8:13:53 #890052

Lucas thank you for your advice. I have read the link you sent but this does not really cover my need because I have to include the Half Fare Pass so that I can go to Jungfraujoch.

Therefore, it is difficult for me to understand how much the ticket would cost me if I uses train travel from Zurich Airport to Wilderswil on one day and the next day go up to Jungfraujoch and the following day take the train from Wilderswil to Milan Italy.

Arno
    15483 posts
    4 July 2018 at 9:12:27 #890053

Hi Gina,

Lucas’s link allows you to find tickets from the Swiss border (Domodossola) to Milan. The Swiss Half Fare Card is not valid there so you need a regular ticket. All listed websites are safe and purchased tickets will be valid.

Additionally you need a discounted ticket from Wilderswil to Domodossola for Swiss Half Fare Card holders for CHF 29.80. You can buy that in Switzerland or online: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland halffare/price.

Alternatively you can buy the ticket for the whole trip Wilderswil-Milan at a staffed train station in Switzerland, with the Swiss leg being discounted. As Lucas said this will probably be more expensive.

In either case you don’t get off the train at the border, that would take too much time. You can arrange for tickets ahead of time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 0:31:34 #890054

Thank you Arno. I do not understand the part where you say that buying ticket for whole trip from say zurich airport will be more expensive than what Lucas suggested. I think he suggested purchasing everything on line.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 0:41:33 #890055

Remember that you have to spend money to buy a half fare card before you can use it to get discount tickets, so it works best for frequent travel. Your trip is pretty much one point to point journey with a bit of a stopover and a side trip. You may have to bear the cost of standard one way tickets Zurich – Wilderswil and Wilderswil – Milan.

You can avoid the huge expense of going to Jungfraujoch by just looking at the Jungfrau from near Wilderswil, or go up to Murren and look across at the three mountains from there ( a better view in my book)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 5:42:41 #890056

Hi Gina,

It will probably save money to buy the Italian portion of the trip online ahead of time but the Swiss portion won’t change.

If you wait until you are in Switzerland to buy everything as one ticket (with the Swiss Half Fare Card discount on the Swiss leg) it still may end up a bit more expensive as the Italian leg may have gone up in price. This is a simpler option but possibly a bit more expensive in the end.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2018 at 1:27:31 #890057

Thank you Lucas. I used the spreadsheet and by including all sections from Zurich airport to Domodossala as previously discussed, the difference between purchasing a Half Fare card and the regular train fares and mountain train was 51.80 CHF in favour of the Half Fare card.

The difference using all sections and going direct to Milan instead of purchasing the Italian leg separately was 71.50 in favour of the Half Fare card.

The difference appears to be quite small.

I would also like to ask if I purchase the Half Fare pass on line or at the Zurich airport, can I delay purchasing the Wilderswil Jungfraujoch return train until I know what the weather will be like on the day up at the Top or do I have to purchase at the same time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2018 at 6:35:16 #890058

Oh yes, you can buy tickets at any time for local train or cable car trips. You don’t need to buy them at the same time as buying the Swiss Half Fare Card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2018 at 7:22:53 #890059

Thank you. I have been reading about Point to Point tickets. Would you still advise purchasing the half Fare Pass as opposed to point to point or even the Swill Travel Pass, if I were to do one train trip from Zurich airport to Wilderswil, next day Wilderswil to Jungfraujoch and the next day Wilderswil to Milan Italy (3 days of using the Swiss rail system). Are you committed to one train at one time of day or can you pick and choose as you wish? Gina

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2018 at 12:49:39 #890060

With the trip to Jungfraujoch, I would think that you certainly would save money over all if you buy the Swiss Half Fare Card. https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisshalffarecar d/price

You still have to buy point to point tickets but everything is 50% off. Tickets are valid all day yes.

Except on SuperSaver tickets (noted on the timetable with a % sign beside the departure time) where you are committed to that departure time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2018 at 6:00:25 #890061

Thank you very much. I noticed when purchasing ticket to Jungfraujoch a reservation is required from Klein Schiedeg to Jungfraujoch and this is an additional CHF5 one way. Is it necessary to reserve a seat in early September. I would have thought it would not be so busy at that time of year. Gina

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2018 at 7:47:13 #890062

Reservations are not required to Jungfraujoch and I think not at all needed in September no.

I was on the train to Kleine Scheidegg & Jungfraujoch the other day (boarded at Lauterbrunnen but I got off in Wengen) and it was maybe 80% full if I had to guess. This was at about 08:30.

• The thread ‘Costs of Zurich-Wilderswil-Jungfraujoch-Milan’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.