Lugano to Chur on Bernina Express – schedules

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2018 at 2:31:30 #818655

We wish to do the journey in reverse from Lugano – Tirano – Chur, but have been unable to find the correct timetable as unsure what to punch in . ( Bernina express gives no result ). We would need to drive to Lugano so want to ensure we allow enough time . Our trip is planned for next June . Any pointers ? Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2018 at 6:14:37 #897732

Hi Pomkitanner,

Are you then doing this as a day trip? It will be a very long day trip or are you renting a car and dropping it off in Lugano?

It would be simpler to find the schedules doing separate searches: Lugano to Tirano (this is by bus) and the Tirano to Chur (Bernina Express train).

Details on the trip are noted here: http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress/gettingth ere

Schedules for next year should be released on the timetable in the coming weeks: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2018 at 6:43:11 #897733

Lucas yes we are doing a day trip. We shall have a rental car for 6 weeks. I appreciate this may be a very long day, but as I am used to a 14 hour work day it does not concern me. Thanks for the update on the 2019 timetable, I shall look forward to it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2018 at 6:51:20 #897734

Right, well try to relax on your holidays. 🙂

It would be about 8 hours one-way from Lugano to Chur via Tirano on the Bernina Express. I’d drive to Tirano or Chur and then do the train trip (the next day) if it was me.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2018 at 7:08:21 #897735

Lucas we have accommodation booked for 5 days in the interlaken area. So we are reluctant to spend a night elsewhere . Is it feasible to do a round trip interlaken – Tirano – Interlaken ? How many hours would this take ?

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 October 2018 at 7:44:45 #897736

Hi Pomkitanner,

Interlaken is too far away for a Bernina Express day trip unfortunately. It would easily take 15 hours without breaks. So not totally impossible, but whether that’s enjoyable is up to you 😉 Please see the timetable that Lucas referred to for details. If I were you I’d focus on regional day trips, as there is plenty to do in the Interlaken area. Much more than you can do in 5 days: http://www.myswissalps.com/in terlaken/activities. Then come back another time and stay in Graubünden for the Bernina Express and other things: http://www.myswissalps.com/gr aubunden.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2018 at 23:41:10 #897737

I’m not sure why you want to cram in the Bernina Express on a trip where you seem to be saying that you are staying in another part of Switzerland.

If you have a car and are only wanting to stay in accomodation in Interlaken, then I humbly suggest you leave the Bernina line for another holiday.

What was it about the Bernina line that you thought was particular?

I ask because if you were, for example, thinking of seeing glaciers, then just driving your hire car from Interlaken across some of the Alpine passes would give you the same sort of scenery, for example there are spectacular glaciers on the Sustenpass, which is only 1 hour’s drive from Interlaken

• The thread ‘Lugano to Chur on Bernina Express – schedules’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.